IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Loudness WarThe Mars Volta's mastering quality

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 johnb820

johnb820

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1132 posts
  • Joined 03-May 06
  • Twitter

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:54 AM

That's a defect. Not audible on vinyl copies.

#102 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4551 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:00 AM

That's a defect. Not audible on vinyl copies.

Hmmm, it's possible, but I can also detect them on this youtube version of the song, found at

Skip to 3:57 to hear the most audible ones – it almost sounds like a slightly open hihat being struck, but I don't think it's that, because John Theodore's hi hats sound different on the track.

#103 Cosmic Lung

Cosmic Lung

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Joined 06-July 07

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:14 AM

this album was recorded with TAPE.

#104 ShreddingBullets

ShreddingBullets

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 23-December 10

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:37 AM

In other news, has anyone else noticed those weird digital pops and clicks that start happening at around 3:06 in "Cassandra Gemini: B. Plant A Nail In The Navel Stream"? I've always wondered if they were intentional or not. It certainly gives a feel of the very fabric of the song breaking apart, as the reverie of the jam gives way to the main Cassandra riff and the conclusion of the album.

Yes, and it makes me skip that part every time. I absolutely hate that noise, I love the music and what's going on but I can't focus because of all the random clicking.

#105 Anonymous 5

Anonymous 5

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:03 AM

I read most of this thread. Mostly because i was really bored.

The original poster inspired a conversation that he had no part in, which i found ironic. tBiG sounds like that OP, because it's supposed to. Buy it on Vinyl, and enjoy one of the best recordings ever.

my copy of tBiG (vinyl) is starting to wear out, it's actually kind of exciting. The guitar chorus melody on Metatron is almost completely inaudible. But what i was trying to say about the vinyl recordings is that there is no loudness war involved. Buy good music on vinyl. And stop using digital technology. It will never be better.

yada yada yada.

#106 Cosmic Lung

Cosmic Lung

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Joined 06-July 07

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:14 AM

The original poster inspired a conversation that he had no part in, which i found ironic. tBiG sounds like that OP, because it's supposed to. Buy it on Vinyl, and enjoy one of the best recordings ever.

my copy of tBiG (vinyl) is starting to wear out, it's actually kind of exciting. The guitar chorus melody on Metatron is almost completely inaudible. But what i was trying to say about the vinyl recordings is that there is no loudness war involved. Buy good music on vinyl. And stop using digital technology. It will never be better.

yada yada yada.

Why is it wearing out? Do you not take care of your records or what? Just curious cause I just bought TBIG yesterday and I love it :biggrin:

vinyl grooves vs. needle/moisture/handling/dust/static/smoke/shake/ash/etc.

#107 wariotaskforce

wariotaskforce

funposter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2653 posts
  • Joined 24-July 10
  • Interests:thimble dick

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

yada yada yada.

Why is it wearing out? Do you not take care of your records or what? Just curious cause I just bought TBIG yesterday and I love it :biggrin:

Dude I have records that were around before you and I were even in a nutsack and they still sound brand new, its all about the treatment and care.

#108 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9906 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

yada yada yada.

Dude I have records that were around before you and I were even in a nutsack and they still sound brand new, its all about the treatment and care.

nutsack treatment

#109 wariotaskforce

wariotaskforce

funposter

• Members
  • 2653 posts
  • Joined 24-July 10

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:46 AM

yada yada yada.

nutsack treatment

Yes...

#110 Cosmic Lung

Cosmic Lung

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Joined 06-July 07

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:02 AM

yada yada yada.

the more the needle runs on the record (you play it) the more it wears. no matter how clean your dick is

#111 wariotaskforce

wariotaskforce

funposter

• Members
  • 2653 posts
  • Joined 24-July 10

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:03 AM

My dick is worn.

#112 Catafalque7

Catafalque7

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Joined 01-October 08

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:57 AM

The most notable cut and paste in Cassandra is the end of Multiple Spouse Wounds and into Sarcophagi. That's always sounded kind of weird to me. Why didn't they fade it? It's just really abrupt and jarring. I like it though, just seems like the correct thing to do would be fade into Sarcophagi.

#113 wariotaskforce

wariotaskforce

funposter

• Members
  • 2653 posts
  • Joined 24-July 10

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

The most notable cut and paste in Cassandra is the end of Multiple Spouse Wounds and into Sarcophagi. That's always sounded kind of weird to me. Why didn't they fade it? It's just really abrupt and jarring. I like it though, just seems like the correct thing to do would be fade into Sarcophagi.

I like the abruptness of it. Takes you by surprise unlike the first time you hear it.

#114 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4551 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:17 PM

That's obviously done intentionally. I don't know why you think it seems obvious that they should have faded it – it's just an artistic decision, like everything else on the album.

#115 Cedric_Omar

Cedric_Omar

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Joined 12-August 05

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

I thought that the mastering was a bit better on Frances the Mute, but I have to agree it's nice having a dynamic range.. their albums are difficult to listen to but since everything is so compressed together there is still mystery in the sounds.. it's not all handed away.. its a bitter sweet for me.

#116 still

still

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 15-April 18

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:24 AM

Somebody uploaded "Declipped and Normalized" Versions of Frances and De-Loused. Haven't heard all of it, but seems cool at first listen.

(EDIT: Holy fuck but the beginning of Frances with Sarcophagi's volume increasing sounds terrible. lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users