IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Some new interviews with Omarhaven't seen them here

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14286 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:53 PM

Sorry for the size but that's how they posted them

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Quattro Bajeena

Quattro Bajeena

Custom Danx

• Members
  • 7426 posts
  • Joined 21-September 08

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:00 PM

Omarcito as un show en Guadalajara

please:) me gustaria ir.

#3 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 14286 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:07 PM

Both reviews are similar and they don't say anything we haven't heard before, except Omar says eventually he'll get tired of writing music and take a break, or maybe just stop writing music; and something I thought was pretty interesting, he said he asked Cedric to write some lyrics in spanish but he wasn't too much into it, and that's why he decided to record vocals himself.

#4 monkey in orbit

monkey in orbit

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Joined 05-September 07

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:18 PM

thanks

pretty much the same blabla as usual..

interresting though, he says that since the begining he's wanted spanish song with TMV but that Cedric stopped writting in spanish.. Not surprising, Cedric es un pocho, he hardly speaks spanish.. Omar should write some stuff in spanish for TMV then if its what he wants. Isnt this His band?

acento mexicano? de donde? pol favol Omal!

#5 somber_vertigo

somber_vertigo

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • Joined 09-April 05

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:51 PM

thanks

pretty much the same blabla as usual..

interresting though, he says that since the begining he's wanted spanish song with TMV but that Cedric stopped writting in spanish.. Not surprising, Cedric es un pocho, he hardly speaks spanish.. Omar should write some stuff in spanish for TMV then if its what he wants. Isnt this His band?

acento mexicano? de donde? pol favol Omal!

jaja, es verdad, pienso que su acento es totalmente portorriqueño...hay mucho sonidos de [l] en lugar de [r] como "Puelto Rico."

me fascina mucho...soy un estudiante de lingüística. :)

I was working on a translation of these interviews, but it became too mammoth of a task. Besides, I have to write an essay for a Spanish literature class that's due by 10 pm. I love Omar, but Isabel Allende is calling my name...

#6 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:59 AM

omar has fucking six echoplexes by the looks of it :(

#7 Guest_frankoso_*

Guest_frankoso_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:02 AM

Omar is the one from his 4 brothers that speaks it the best (i think his older brother might do it more since he lives in pr) but his accent, believe it or not, it is indeed very mexican, at least more than the expected, he uses a lot of words that we use here in north mexico or south america, loads of mexican slang too, its pretty awesome haha

#8 somber_vertigo

somber_vertigo

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • Joined 09-April 05

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:15 AM

Omar is the one from his 4 brothers that speaks it the best (i think his older brother might do it more since he lives in pr) but his accent, believe it or not, it is indeed very mexican, at least more than the expected, he uses a lot of words that we use here in north mexico or south america, loads of mexican slang too, its pretty awesome haha

True, his syntax and word choice is all pretty Mexican...but I still think a lot of his pronunciation still sounds Puerto Rican. I dunno, it's a mixture. :)

#9 Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2521 posts
  • Joined 26-October 08

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:47 AM

Cedric es una conchita

#10 Theverminyouneed

Theverminyouneed

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2299 posts
  • Joined 02-December 07
  • Interests:everything and nothing
  • Facebook

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:20 AM

wheres the first article from? it isn't nylon mag is it?

#11 monkey in orbit

monkey in orbit

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Joined 05-September 07

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:53 PM

yeah he uses lots of mexican slang but i still think his accent is totaly Puerto Rican.. Like somber_vertigo is saying, listen to his R's they are basicaly all L's..
And i don't find he modulates like Norteños.
But thats just my language nerd point of view!

somber_vertigo: Me encanta la lingüística. No la estudié pero me interesa mucho por lo que hablo varias lenguas y viajo. Es fascinante el numero de regionalismos y sus raíces que uno encuentra a dentro de la misma lengua y como se conceptualizan las expresiones y de lo que puedes encontrar estos mismos conceptos en otras lenguas.. Pero eso es otro post! jaja

#12 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

Streben nach dem Unendlichen

• Members
  • 8523 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:45 AM

I am trying to translate the second and the third article but there are some words that are far from hardly visible.... :sad:

#13 shunyatha

shunyatha

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 26-February 05

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:48 AM

omar has fucking six echoplexes by the looks of it :(

they are roland space-echos, and are 7 the black one is the re-501, the others are the re-201, re-101 and maybe also the re-150. The pic is too far.

#14 whodunit?

whodunit?

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Joined 13-December 07

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:07 PM

human language translation, please?

#15 ramzizzle

ramzizzle

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1916 posts
  • Joined 26-October 04

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:07 PM

id still like a translation if someone can...

#16 somber_vertigo

somber_vertigo

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • Joined 09-April 05

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:59 AM

I was working on it, guys, but I have final exams and stuff to do over the next few days. Sight tight, unless Dandelion or Victor or someone can do it. Maybe we could split up the task.

#17 Frances_a_muTE

Frances_a_muTE

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 27-January 06

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:53 AM

but his accent, believe it or not, it is indeed very mexican, at least more than the expected, he uses a lot of words that we use here in north mexico or south america, loads of mexican slang too, its pretty awesome haha

Uhh...Naw, it's actually still very puerto rican. Dunno about the slang, haven't noticed that but it would make sense since he's lived there a lot

#18 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 14286 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:27 AM

I was thinking about doing a translation, but the way Omar speaks makes it complicated, maybe tomorrow because I just got home and it's 4:40 am :S

#19 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

Streben nach dem Unendlichen

• Members
  • 8523 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:04 AM

i dont know if my translation is relevant by i gave it a shot...

its the second photo.first part of the interview.

Located in Zapopan, Jalisco from awhile ago, Omar has dedicated himself to unleash a new stage that signified new things to him , where the experimentation itself implied simpleness and even had his voice captured on Xenophanes, a record worth it/giving a try.

G: How do you feel living in Mexico? Are you planning on staying around for a while?
O: I`ve enjoyed it at home with my studio and I am here to stay many more years. I have been moving from one place to another every second year during my lifetime and at first I have been living in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Europe and now I am in Mexico.

G: Do you feel almost Mexican now?
O: I am Puerto Rican but when I was five we went to live in Puebla and we were there for a couple of years. I have rooted in the Mexican culture, the sayings, the accent, the food, I love Huitlacoche, the juice of the lime, the green sauce, el pico de gallo (rooster`s beek: It usually refers to a type of Salsa that is made with Tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and chiles.?)

G: Its inevitable to ask you why did you choose to name the album Xenophanes?
O: I like the word, I liked the way it sounded (the way it seemed?) ,is the same as with The Mars Volta. Xenophanes is the name of a crater of the moon connected to another crater named Volta.
It is also a name of a Greek philosopher who said that the human being would never be capable of finding (perceive, meet with) the truth because the truth has many different (lots of) faces that the man is not capable of understanding.

i am doing the second part so be patient...

G: You are creating and recording all the time. what has reflected that?
O: I have said many times that is a kind of therapy, to try to understand myself, to warn (make people aware) people around me and the world of my existence in it.
The process of making an album or a movie teaches you a lot, tells you a lot, its like an enormous mirror. In fact I don’t eve have a social life, I don’t go out, I don’t drink, I don’t smoke, I don’t use drugs. There is nothing better than hang around in my studio at my home, have some snack and just enjoy what I like doing most.
Sometimes instead of paying a guy to tell me what my problems are *laughs* I am becoming aware of them only by working.

G: In Xenophanes, you decided to make place to the complexity that characterizes you. What was that about?
O: Sometimes to return to the traditional way of making a song after numbrs of albums and tons of experimentation feels like experimenting just because you haven’t done it in 15 or 20 years. I found it pleasurable to refine the things because every time I start to make an album I integrate numbers of different sounds I`ve realized that I had already done that and that it started to get boring.

G: You facet voice is featured in the album. What was it like to be in front of the microphone?
O: I started as a bass player and a singer in my family so it was obvious to come back to that. When I started the Mars Volta it was really important for me to show (feature) our roots like el montuna, guaguanco, guajira (I haven’t got the slightest clue how to translate this) , and Cedric was doing it for a while but he wasn’t writing in Spanish that much lately. Its not like I have disappointed in him, its just that he is not that into it but for me for example it is something that I need in life, to write the lyrics and do it in Spanish.

G: As soon we can have one of your albums in our hands you are already doing or have finished another ones. Do you ever stop creating?
O: the most important thing to me and the thing I love most about is the actual process and when its over I get really sad and depressed so I keep going on another one and that’s why I have so many albums not edited yet. I do aproximatly 10 to 13 albums a year but mainly only four get to be released and I don’t do them to edit (release) them all but for me it’s an intimate process that makes me learn a lot.

G: Behind every record that you make there is a concept of a kind. What is the concept behind this one?
O: It’s a love story of the past lives, of a man that wants to win over a woman`s heart in this life but he cant so he is trying over and over continually throughout 11 lives more.
He is quite a judging person who spends his life in search for money and power and in the process of experimenting in every life that he lives, he gets to live it all. He lives what people have judged. In one of his lives he was murdered, in other one he was violated, and in the other he was the one who murdered and violated. He went through everything until he reached the point where he was capable to understand another way of existing/meaning of life. It’s the process that makes us realize that we can not judge people of how they live or don’t live their life.
G: You have worked with many musicians, who is going to accompany you in this one?
O: I am going to integrate a little of everything and I like new experiences, it’s a way of coexist. I left home at the age of 17 so I didn’t really knew my brother until I made him a part of the group, when another kind of relationship started.
At the moment the assemble of The Mars Volta has went down from 8 to 6 musicians and one day maybe there will be 19 musicians.

G: Your always seeking goal is not to repeat yourself. Do you always achieve on doing something different?
O: what I can not alow to happen Is for one album to be similar to the other, I just wanna live another experiences. I would be really sad if everything was the same in this 15 years I have spent as a musician. It would be great that one day when I stop doing music( because a time will come when I wont feel like doing music any longer ) that doesn’t exist only for me, the last record I will make to have nothing to do with the first record I have made , that someone who is going to listen to it say: “ I like this era, but I hate this other one.”
The perfect example of this is the last album of the Clash that has nothing to do with the first one, a one can tell…to live the experience of people alike Joe Strummer that when he came in new York he was in contact with the black culture, with the hip-hop.
I like perceiving other people`s lives through their music…like a poloroid photo.

I decided to stay away from the critics about my music because when they say its shit, it really is and when they say it is really good it also is, but I do it only because I like it , it moves me and it gives me the goosebumps.
Please listen to my albums, all of them.

point out the mistakes please...

#20 endoia

endoia

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 14-November 08

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:12 AM

thanks for the translation, some of us were foolish enough to take french in high school. Omar is making it clear that was a wasted effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users