IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

jungle/drum n' bass

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Chiggaria

Chiggaria

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Joined 12-May 04
  • Interests:chick corea...chocolate milk...etc...<br><br>not putting a list of interests into a textbox

Posted 11 September 2004 - 08:54 AM

any album suggestions?

oh, and does anybody know the name of johnny rabb's band?

#2 Guest_applekiddy_*

Guest_applekiddy_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 12 September 2004 - 02:39 AM

Try Ak-1200, Tony C, Freaky Flow, Congo Natty, Dieselboy, Alder, Dj Sage, Aphrodite, Goldie, and Kush. Try going to the Q-topia in hollywood, they always have a good jungle line-up. Underground Culture record store in LA has a great selection, too. Try finding live shows, they usually have a great atmosphere.

#3 sektor

sektor

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3717 posts
  • Joined 19-January 04

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:29 AM

Man there's hundreds of different records to suggest, but there are definately some stand out labels to check out. As suggested by applekiddy, Goldie certainly pioneered the sound and he runs ( or ran ) Metalheadz which has a wide variety artists in different d&b Styles.

check out Metalheadz here.

Also, Roni Size is kinda cool (he tours w/ a live band sometimes) and you can find him on FullCycle records here.. DJ Suv and Krust are worth checking here too. V recordings rocks too.

As I said there are many others but I found the best stuff (that I like above). Other labels worth checking are Moving Shadow, Ninja Tune does some cool stuff, W.A.R.P, and bunch of others here

#4 thesecraftonlymultiply

thesecraftonlymultiply

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:38 AM

people like this stuff? i can;t stand it

#5 sektor

sektor

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3717 posts
  • Joined 19-January 04

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:44 AM

each to their own man.......its definately not everyone's cup 'o tea

#6 thesecraftonlymultiply

thesecraftonlymultiply

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:15 AM

View Post

totally.

theres 2 reasons i don't like it:

1. it sucks in my opinion

2. it reminds me of all the chavs that live around here and listen to it

#7 sektor

sektor

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3717 posts
  • Joined 19-January 04

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:22 AM

View Post

HA! I know what you mean about the chavs. I used to live in chav-central once. But, I like it due to me being roped into various projects to lay down some bass lines/guitar samples (which i still do occasionally) and then a couple of live gigs so it kinda grew on me after that. I learned to appreciate the effort and work that went into it and my midi-tan which i got as a result. :laugh:

#8 tomho64

tomho64

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1864 posts
  • Joined 04-November 03

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:15 PM

View Post

totally.

View Post

That's what I used to think but there are totally different types, theres the repetitive totally unimaginative ones that the chavs like but theres also much more interesting varieties, but if u dont like it thats fair enough. :)

#9 thesecraftonlymultiply

thesecraftonlymultiply

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

Posted 15 September 2004 - 06:32 PM

View Post

HA! I know what you mean about the chavs. I used to live in chav-central once. But, I like it due to me being roped into various projects to lay down some bass lines/guitar samples (which i still do occasionally) and then a couple of live gigs so it kinda grew on me after that. I learned to appreciate the effort and work that went into it and my midi-tan which i got as a result. :laugh:

View Post

fair enough dude

View Post

totally.

View Post

That's what I used to think but there are totally different types, theres the repetitive totally unimaginative ones that the chavs like but theres also much more interesting varieties, but if u dont like it thats fair enough. :)

View Post

fair dues. perhaps you could give me the name of a song or some artists that play the un-repetative stuff? i am interested to see what this sounds like; i know I probs won;t like it but would be interesting to hear

also

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/

#10 I'm_Defected

I'm_Defected

If you read this, you owe me sex.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9360 posts
  • Joined 02-April 04

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:14 PM

i hate when ppl say something sucks, just cus you dont like something doesnt mean it sucks. some people think the mars volta suck, but thats cus its not what they enjoy listening to.

#11 thesecraftonlymultiply

thesecraftonlymultiply

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

Posted 16 September 2004 - 02:41 PM

View Post

totally.

View Post

i hate when ppl say something sucks, just cus you dont like something doesnt mean it sucks. some people think the mars volta suck, but thats cus its not what they enjoy listening to.

View Post

called an opinion dude :pirate:

#12 i_cut_my_teeth

i_cut_my_teeth

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
  • Interests:i listen to alot of music. i play geetar and have been for nearly 7 years. i record my own music using my computer. and when my drummer friend is back from uni we jam. i like computer games, i like smoking marijuana, i like shrooms, i like reading.

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:49 AM

i read once i think that omar was listening to breakbeat era which is a project of roni size mentioned earlier i dunno if this is the same breakbeat era but that cud be worth checking out although its not jungle or dnb its breakbeat....

i used to think drum and bass was boring and repetative. you just need to know some people that know alot and can introduce you to some good stuff.

aphex twin is worth listening to imo

#13 Carruthers

Carruthers

GRAWRRR IM A GRIZZLY BEAR

• Members
  • 8481 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03
  • Interests:Me and you.<br />Your momma and your cousin, too.
  • Myspace

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:51 AM

I like Optikal and Ed Rush. Also, 16ArmedJack from Toronto makes some really awesome ragga/breakbeat mashup shit.

OD5150 and Operator out of LA are still two of my favourites, as well. Crazy loud jungle breaks with heavy dub effects and dancehall bambaclat vocals.

#14 darthcheese

darthcheese

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Joined 04-April 04

Posted 18 September 2004 - 08:53 PM

they have a pretty good ragga/dancehall scene here in London. i just hear what my friend listens to ... i don't mind it at all. it doesn't matter what kind of people listen to it. if i worried about that, then i'd fucking hate garage.

#15 Guest_applekiddy_*

Guest_applekiddy_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 19 September 2004 - 12:05 AM

they have a pretty good ragga/dancehall scene here in London. i just hear what my friend listens to ... i don't mind it at all. it doesn't matter what kind of people listen to it. if i worried about that, then i'd fucking hate garage.

View Post

London is great for Ragga, I don't Congo Natty ever comes to America.

#16 Drobot

Drobot

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined 11-March 04

Posted 19 September 2004 - 03:37 PM

if you know where to look, drum'n'bass can be some incredible stuff

check out:

Klute
High Contrast
Teebee
Photek
darkhalo (not signed but he's a genius, you can get his tunes at his site )
Amon Tobin
Squarepusher
Aphex Twin
ยต-Ziq
London Elektricity
Ed Rush & Optical
Goldie
Pieter K

#17 Chiggaria

Chiggaria

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Joined 12-May 04
  • Interests:chick corea...chocolate milk...etc...<br><br>not putting a list of interests into a textbox

Posted 19 September 2004 - 05:52 PM

i was looking for albums, not bands/artists. i've heard most of these guys you all are mentioning. the thing is, i know some of these guys have really off albums that probably wouldn't interest me. so, i was wondering what some of the best albums are.

as for i'm defected. people can say whatever they want. at least he said "they suck in my opinion." i think krispey creme donuts suck because they are too sweet. does that mean that everybody has to think that they suck? no.

if everybody refrained from saying that anything sucked just because they don't like it...this would be an annoyingly "politically correct" world. oh wait, thats just my opinion.

EDIT: just realized that the first paragraph sounded a little condecending. was not meant to. i appreciate the suggestions i have gotten thus far. i just would like to see some specific album titles.

#18 thesecraftonlymultiply

thesecraftonlymultiply

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03

Posted 20 September 2004 - 01:13 AM

DROBOT: i checked out that darkhalo dudes site (seeing as you put the link up) ... nice site and the music wasn't half bad - very video game like.

very different from previous drum and bass i have heard (ie with black dude going woagaggogo yo yo over it etc)

what are his best tracks?

gracias

#19 sektor

sektor

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3717 posts
  • Joined 19-January 04

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:18 AM

i read once i think that omar was listening to breakbeat era which is a project of roni size mentioned earlier i dunno if this is the same breakbeat era but that cud be worth checking out although its not jungle or dnb its breakbeat....

View Post

Roni Size was in town at the same time that ATDI played the BDO. I think Roni Size was there also. They (Cedric and Omar) said at the time that they were "really into" what he was doing and they met Roni in an elevator and told him, but apparently Roni just brushed them which Omar wasn't impressed with. (I heard this from a Australian radio interview earlier this year.)

Aside from that pointless piece of information, there is another group Boymerang from the UK which krank out some nice tunes. Their selftitled release is worth checking and the latest Fabio album has really great tracks on it (especially for parties!!). LTJ Bukem is kinda "light" D & B and I'd reccommend the Live in The USA album as its a 2 disc set with one "studio" disc (i.e no MC'ing) and the live disc features MC Conrad (who, in my opinion is great live - when I saw 'em on NYE 2003 it was one of the best live performances I've seen ever).

#20 Carruthers

Carruthers

GRAWRRR IM A GRIZZLY BEAR

• Members
  • 8481 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03
  • Interests:Me and you.<br />Your momma and your cousin, too.
  • Myspace

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:55 AM

i was looking for albums, not bands/artists. i've heard most of these guys you all are mentioning. the thing is, i know some of these guys have really off albums that probably wouldn't interest me. so, i was wondering what some of the best albums are.

View Post

There aren't many good jungle albums, per se. The best tunes are just that, tunes put out on 12"s. Be prepared to dig through plenty of crates.

I personally a shelf devoted to jungle/breakcore/glitchcore/gabba/miscellaneous fast loud techno records. I have no albums on that shelf, just lots of 12" singles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users