IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Best DrummingWhich song is Jon's best??

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#1 crazypomp27

crazypomp27

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 18-May 05

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:57 PM

Ok guys. The question of the day is which TMV song contains the best drumming? On which song is Jon at his absolute finest?
Things to consider in order of relative importance(in my opinion of course):
1. Fit - Just how well does the beat fit the song? Is it the absolute best beat for the song or could you see something else fitting better? Is Jon's drumming adding a new dimension to the song or simply accentuating what the other guys are doing?
2. Technical difficulty - Is the song's drum part hard to play? How much technical skill does it require?
3. Creativity - Is the drum part something that no other drummer ever would have thought of? Is it just so blazingly original that it boggles your mind that he could have ever conceivably invented a drum part be like the one in the song?
4. Style - Is the song a good representation of Jon's general style? If someone wanted to know about Jon's drumming would the song be a good choice to play for them?

With all this said, my pick goes to "Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus". The drums are what gives that song its dinstict feel. Plus it's blazingly original and pretty fuckin hard to play as well as Jon does. When it breaks down and goes into the guitar solo the time signature switches to 29/16 time (how fuckin ridiculous is that?!) and Jon is playing straight 16th notes the entire time and I simply have no clue how he doesn't get tired playing that part. The drumming in "A Plague Upon Your Hissing" is also damn fuckin good.

So get listening and let me know your thoughts!

Edited by crazypomp27, 07 July 2005 - 03:41 AM.

#2 محمود

محمود

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5293 posts
  • Joined 09-March 05

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:59 PM

i think i'm gonna say intertiatic

#3 Inertiatic87

Inertiatic87

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2859 posts
  • Joined 23-March 04
  • Interests:Well, I dont have anything to worry about, because my penis is massive.... as is everyone elses on the coma, apparently.<br /><br />I am interested in forging metal, to create super metal, which will rock the world.
  • Facebook

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

I like Cicatriz ESP, thouh it sounsd like he ripped off Michael Shrieve.

#4 a two hour drive

a two hour drive

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Joined 31-January 05

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:51 PM

although it may not be his best drumming, i actually really like the widow, probably because i read in an interview that he wanted it to sound like "since ive been loving you". he wanted that really heavy sound, without being played fast. and it really does sound like that, its awesome.

#5 csharr2

csharr2

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Joined 22-January 04

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:53 PM

I'll go with Eriatarka...I love the reggae breakdown.

#6 TDrummer219

TDrummer219

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 28-May 05

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:15 PM

Ok. I hafta say that Jon is one of the sickest drummers. I dunno if anyone here has heard of him but another favorite drummer of mine is Terry Bozzio. Terry does a lot of solo stuff now, and I have always admired how cleanly he plays and how beautiful and flowing his style is. The thing great about Jon is he puts that same intricate beautiful style to kickass music and lyrics. So with that said, I'll say his best parts are in either Eriatarka or Cygnus. With most of his stuff I can at least breakdown the basic beat, but with Eriatarka I just cant get it (keep in mind I cant play any nearly as well as jon). In Cygnus I'll have to agree with CrazyPomp, the drums just fit the song sooo well. Pretty much any song is fun as hell to play, everything just has soo much passion and energy behind it. Great stuff!

#7 secondstage

secondstage

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Joined 12-February 05

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:16 PM

Take the Veil, I know EVERYONE has air drummed to the "knife me innn," you know. Completely awesome. I dont know about all the other aspects but thats definitely my favorite Jon, TMV drumming.

#8 Discordia

Discordia

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3287 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:21 PM

I like Cicatriz ESP, thouh it sounsd like he ripped off Michael Shrieve.

View Post

well, the new take the veil helicopter jam's drums sounds an awful lot like those on track 1 (name escapes me right now) off of Santana I. It's a two handed 16th note pattern with open-hi-hat accents on the bass drum.

g

#9 cee

cee

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Joined 05-September 04

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:29 PM

Eunuch Provocateur. i really like this beat. and if anyone has heard the 'summer sessions" he does a really cool solo.

#10 cygnus_geminni

cygnus_geminni

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 05-June 05

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:31 PM

drunkship of lanterns hands down....why has no one mentioned it

#11 bobthesalesclerk

bobthesalesclerk

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1741 posts
  • Joined 12-March 05
  • Interests:Masterbating

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:39 PM

My favorites to play...

Cygnus
Take the Veil
Eriatarka
Drunkship
Cut that City

I cracked my 20" Full Ride last week and didnt send it out before i went to canada :(

I havnt played in a week and my drums are calling me.

#12 Snork

Snork

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts
  • Joined 30-May 04

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:49 PM

Ok guys.  The question of the day is which TMV song contains the best drumming? On which song is Jon at his absolute finest?
1. Fit - Just how well does the beat fit the song? Is it the absolute best beat for the song or could you see something else fitting better? Is Jon's drumming adding a new dimension to the song or simply accentuating what the other guys are doing?
2. Technical difficulty - Is the song's drum part hard to play? How much technical skill does it require?
3. Creativity - Is the drum part something that no other drummer ever would have thought of? Is it just so blazingly original that it boggles your mind that he could have ever conceivably invented a drum part be like the one in the song?
4. Style - Is the song a good representation of Jon's general style? If someone wanted to know about Jon's drumming would the song be a good choice to play for them?

With all this said, my pick goes to "Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus".  The drums are what gives that song its dinstict feel.  Plus it's blazingly original and pretty fuckin hard to play as well as Jon does.  When it breaks down and goes into the guitar solo the time signature switches to 29/16 time (how fuckin ridiculous is that?!) and Jon is playing straight 16th notes the entire time and I simply have no clue how he doesn't get tired playing that part.

View Post

I agree 100% with that. The chaotic drum part MAKES Cygnus as awesome as it is.
However, it's not 29/16, it's 15/8. Almost the same thing.
5, 6, 4.

-

And responding to a few other people, the Eriatarka one is also incredible. Jon's drumming made me aware just how awesome the eighth note pickup tom hit (or quarter note pickup) is (as in right before the chorus in Eriatarka).

The Eriatarka part is ridiculously hard to get in your head. It helped me to play the guitar part going on at the same time, because the drum part is just an elaboration of the same rhythm.
(1) and a 2, 3 e and, (4) and a 1, 2 e and (3) and a 4 e and a

And yeah. His syncopation is incredible, especially in Take the Veil.

But Cygnus is still my favourite drumwise, for now.

#13 raynor

raynor

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 01-March 05

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:51 PM

Take the Veil, I know EVERYONE has air drummed to the "knife me innn," you know. Completely awesome. I dont know about all the other aspects but thats definitely my favorite Jon, TMV drumming.

View Post

i actually air drum to "who brought me here?"

#14 crazypomp27

crazypomp27

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 18-May 05

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:52 PM

Most fun to play: "Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt"

View Post

I have to agree on that one. I love just rockin out to that drum part. It's so friggin fast though (190 bpm) so I always end up getting too tired to finish it out. O well. But yea that is easily the most fun to play along with Cicatriz and had i done a list like some other ppl Take the Veil would've been my #2.

#15 ifoundthefringe

ifoundthefringe

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Joined 03-November 03
  • Facebook

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:53 PM

Concertina

#16 crazypomp27

crazypomp27

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 18-May 05

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:57 PM

Ok guys.  The question of the day is which TMV song contains the best drumming? On which song is Jon at his absolute finest?

With all this said, my pick goes to "Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus".  The drums are what gives that song its dinstict feel.  Plus it's blazingly original and pretty fuckin hard to play as well as Jon does.  When it breaks down and goes into the guitar solo the time signature switches to 29/16 time (how fuckin ridiculous is that?!) and Jon is playing straight 16th notes the entire time and I simply have no clue how he doesn't get tired playing that part.

View Post

5, 6, 4.

View Post

No, it is 29/16. They transcribed it in an issue of Drum! magazine. Or you could look at it from a multi measure perspective which would be a measure of 9/16 followed by a measure of 3/4 then a measure of 2/4.

#17 Snork

Snork

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts
  • Joined 30-May 04

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:04 PM

View Post

5, 6, 4.

View Post

No, it is 29/16. They transcribed it in an issue of Drum! magazine. Or you could look at it from a multi measure perspective which would be a measure of 9/16 followed by a measure of 3/4 then a measure of 2/4.

View Post

Oh... so there's actually a missing sixteenth note in what I thought of as the 5/8ish measure. I thought it was a pre-downbeat kind of deal.

There are times when you can taste the Led Zeppelin in TMV's music. I mean, apart from the occasional vocal similarities and big hair, the whole insane fractional time signatures thing.

The Ocean is in like 7/8. Look at it that way or 3 and a half/4.

Four Sticks is in fucking 4 and a half/4 or something ridiculous like that.

#18 crazypomp27

crazypomp27

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 18-May 05

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:23 PM

4 and half/4 is just 9/8

#19 Hard-tongue

Hard-tongue

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 02-March 05

Posted 11 June 2005 - 11:28 PM

I play pretty much instrument I can get my hands on and when it comes to drums, most of the time I pretty much improvise when I play along to an album. Every once in a while I still take the time to figure out a song and I've figured out most of Deloused. I haven't taken the time to learn much off of Frances. I didn't realize how hard Take the Veil was until I saw Jon play it live. Inertiatic isn't that difficult at all and neither is Roulette Dares. Drunkship is pretty hard as well and I didn't expect Cicatriz to be as hard as it is on the verses. The verses are the only part that I find hard in Cicatriz.

The best part on Deloused is definately Take the Veil. When it comes to Frances I guess either Cygnus or Cassandra. I'd have to go listen to them more.

This thread should have been a poll.

#20 psychosam17

psychosam17

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 17-December 04

Posted 11 June 2005 - 11:40 PM

Cygnus is my pick, because of the sweet guitar solo part into the "ohhhhh yeahhh" and the 5/4 part at the end where omar is playing that cycling riff and john is doing some of those sweet fills.

although take the veil is pretty wicked to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users