IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Why do so many people dislike Amputechture?

amputechture

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#41 half-life213

half-life213

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Joined 21-August 12

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:02 AM

Also, don't get me wrong, I like Amputechture, but it's #5 on my list just because it's so daunting in length

#42 iorch82

iorch82

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 01-January 10

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

Amp  was my entry to TMV and it remains #1 hand on hand with TBIG

As opposed to many people here I find Frances quite boring, besides Cygnus .. the 30 minute songs feels just like some organized wankery that goes nowhere - 30 minutes in Eminor , it lacks movement - , Delouse is awesome, but the way it is produced gives me some sort of "cold" feeling

Amp has a weird 70s vibe in its mixing, so damn trippy and warm...I am not very into Tetragramaton though, love the parts but not the song as a whole

#43 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

^^^ loves Amp, doesn't love Tetra, the centerpiece of the album; still trying to wrap my head around that one....

and, for the lulz: http://forum.thecoma...showtopic=69192

#44 ijustwanttoreplytoathread

ijustwanttoreplytoathread

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 03-June 13

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

I love Amputechture. To me the first four Mars Volta records are equally awesome, each one for other reasons. Just downloaded a vinyl rip of Amputechture and i like it even better! Check it out, it's on Soulseek, it sounds much more pleasant, especially the drums. Now i'm looking for one of De-Loused. I have Frances on wax. Fuck Vlado Meller.

#45 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6833 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

Amp  was my entry to TMV and it remains #1 hand on hand with TBIG

As opposed to many people here I find Frances quite boring, besides Cygnus .. the 30 minute songs feels just like some organized wankery that goes nowhere - 30 minutes in Eminor , it lacks movement - , Delouse is awesome, but the way it is produced gives me some sort of "cold" feeling

Amp has a weird 70s vibe in its mixing, so damn trippy and warm...I am not very into Tetragramaton though, love the parts but not the song as a whole

You are one of the only other people I've seen on this forum besides myself who isn't obsessed with that song.

^^^ loves Amp, doesn't love Tetra, the centerpiece of the album; still trying to wrap my head around that one....

and, for the lulz: http://forum.thecoma...showtopic=69192

What makes it the supposed centerpiece though?  I think you only say that because you like it and because it's the longest song.

To me it's unfortunate that the song I care about the least is the longest song.

#46 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2851 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:43 AM

Tetra is amazing. One of my favorites. Never ceases to amaze me. Amp might be my favorite TMV record ever, with Frances right behind it.

#47 half-life213

half-life213

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Joined 21-August 12

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:47 AM

I have to side with Mataxia, Tetra is way overrated, they length feels forced and the mixing is awful.

#48 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2851 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:57 AM

Length is great and mixing is phenomenal. LOL. Different strokes I guess! Amp is definitely their most unique record. I love the style of the record, how the tunes cut off, how jazzy, funky, psychedelic it is.

Vicarious is my favorite intro. Gives me chills by the end every time.

Mecca is probably my favorite track. That ending might be the greatest ending to a song they've ever done.

#49 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:24 AM

I have to side with Mataxia, Tetra is way overrated, they length feels forced and the mixing is awful.

There are only two places in the Mars Volta catalog where the length feels "forced" to me... one is the end of Baphomets, and the other is the last round of "of all the warnings that you gave me" in Ouroborous... it just felt like those songs could have ended on a powerful punch, but instead, here we go 'round one more time. Contrast with L'Via, which goes 'round one more time with a really trippy twist that only enhances the song.

#50 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:37 AM

To be fair, a lot of the Latin influenced music is based off traditional salsa rhythms with tonal or key changes, Ex. Drunkship, Cicatriz, The melody of the verses of Dyslexicon's from another song that escapes me, The opening of Take the veil was used in something else before, that also escapes me, the opening of Asilos Magdalena is a fingerpicking exercise Omar's dad learned, 

the veil intro is just the omar sliding around on the B string while droning the high E string and that goes back as far as Hulahoop Wounds, or like Extracurricular. 

on that note, there's clave buried in Eunuch Provocateur too

#51 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6833 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:45 AM

I definitely agree that the length of Tetra feels forced, but maybe that's just because none of the sections of the song really do much for me.  10.5 minutes into the song, here comes another new section... of random stuff that feels like it was thrown in there to make the song longer.  I just feel meh about the whole thing.  Believe me, I wish I could get into it since it's so long and has so many sections which seems cool in theory, but it just doesn't work for me.

I love the ending of Ouroboros.

#52 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:09 AM

I think Neil and I could tag team post to avoid redundancy, because we're pretty much opposite every time. But we agree Frances was a great album though, right? And whatever part of it you think is great, I agree wholeheartedly! :)

#53 Joel___SMEGMA

Joel___SMEGMA

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

Because Deloused has become boring, Frances is just too epic for the mood sometimes, bedlam is too rough sometimes, octa is too sweet, and noctourniquet is a whole different beast (band).

That's why Amputechture is the best album!

#54 AmanitaVirosa

AmanitaVirosa

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 162 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Interests:The Fucking Volta<br />

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thread is ridic. Amputechture is the hipster TMV fan's choice these days.

#55 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

What makes it the supposed centerpiece though?  I think you only say that because you like it and because it's the longest song.

I don't know, man, maybe it's because, you know, the first album cover by Storm was centered around it? 

#56 Benprogfuse

Benprogfuse

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Joined 30-September 12

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

Thread is ridic. Amputechture is the hipster TMV fan's choice these days.

Ha, that's what I think about Fances.. 

#57 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

Everybody loves Frances. Loving their 'autistic child' shows your knowledge of the band is deep.

#58 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6833 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

I don't know, man, maybe it's because, you know, the first album cover by Storm was centered around it? 

Yeah, but it was rejected.  It represented one of the stories of the album but not really the album as a whole.

Mecca is in the middle of the album and even contains the word Amputechture in the title and lyrics.

#59 daveion

daveion

El Guapo

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts
  • Joined 01-March 05

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

Mecca > Tetra

Baphomets > Tetra

come at me bros

#60 Mataxia