IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Mask of the Phantasm – New Axial AgeOmar Ghaznavi, Thomas Pridgen, Adrián Terrazas-González, Nick Greer, Rachel Fuhrer, Sonny Kay

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6332 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:49 AM

Taken from Omar Ghaznavi's Instagram

Screenshot-2020-06-25-at-10-43-06.png

I get blown up about this enough that I decided I’ll finally post an update.
On July 5th, 2011 my father was murdered in an attempted robbery on the 5500 block of Yale in Houston, TX.
This is the first time I’ve ever written about this on the internet or social media and frankly it feels fucking weird.
I spent the last two years working on a record with some of my childhood heroes (@badassthomaspridgen @adrianterrazasofficial @nicksgreer @bigbaddrums ) to try and exhaust all of the fucked up shit I feel on a daily basis.
It’s done and will be out in a couple of months. The project name is The Mask of the Phantasm, and the album title is New Axial Age. The photo is the album art done by @sonny_kay

I’ll post more updates soonish.

There was also this thread, started by Omar Ghaznavi, on early mixes:   http://forum.thecoma...94#entry3818622

I'm looking forward to this project a lot.

#2 OhMyGod

OhMyGod

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Joined 01-May 09

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:19 PM

That cover is gorgeous. 

#3 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:00 PM

Is Kevin Conroy on vocals?

#4 Phantasm

Phantasm

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 21-November 19

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:44 PM

Taken from Omar Ghaznavi's Instagram

Screenshot-2020-06-25-at-10-43-06.png

I get blown up about this enough that I decided I’ll finally post an update.
On July 5th, 2011 my father was murdered in an attempted robbery on the 5500 block of Yale in Houston, TX.
This is the first time I’ve ever written about this on the internet or social media and frankly it feels fucking weird.
I spent the last two years working on a record with some of my childhood heroes (@badassthomaspridgen @adrianterrazasofficial @nicksgreer @bigbaddrums ) to try and exhaust all of the fucked up shit I feel on a daily basis.
It’s done and will be out in a couple of months. The project name is The Mask of the Phantasm, and the album title is New Axial Age. The photo is the album art done by @sonny_kay
I’ll post more updates soonish.

There was also this thread, started by Omar Ghaznavi, on early mixes:   http://forum.thecoma...94#entry3818622

I'm looking forward to this project a lot.

Thanks for sharing this here. If anyone's following Thomas, Adrian or myself on Instagram I'll be posting the release dates in the coming weeks. 

#5 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3467 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:57 PM

Awesome sir. What's the back story on getting Pridgatron and Adrián involved?

#6 Phantasm

Phantasm

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 21-November 19

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:51 PM

Awesome sir. What's the back story on getting Pridgatron and Adrián involved?

I haven't really spilled the guts anywhere so here  it goes:

I was like 12 years old when I heard ATDI/Volta in like 2002 from a friends older brother by way of skateboarding. It's arguably the whole reason I bought a guitar. It was the first real raw shit I can recall listening to and thinking "this stuff comes from the heart and isn't just being made to sell or get played on the radio". 

I started a band in Houston when I was like 15 or so in high school called Television Skies. We played at a now defunct club called the Proletariat and this guy in the crowd who heard us approached us after the show about managing us/booking shows. It was weird and bizarre to us but we just went along with it because he wasn't asking us for money or anything.

It turned out he also managed Zechs Marquise so we wound up opening for them in Houston, Austin, and San Antonio a few times in like 2007-2008. I met Thomas at a Mars Volta pre-party when they were touring Bedlam and we sort of just clicked. A couple of years later after he left Volta and was doing stuff with the Memorials he hit me up and asked if I could help book some Texas shows for them since he remembered I'd played and help promote shows for Marcel and Marfred's band. 

After playing with them at Fitz's in Houston he was basically like "oh shit I thought you were just like a fanboy but damn you can actually play and write cool shit we should do something together". That was the first time this was mentioned and I was both flattered and flustered at the sentiment. Might have been 2010/early 2011. 

After my dad was murdered in 2011, I stopped playing in bands but didn't stop writing or playing guitar. Focused on figuring money out to take care of my mom and sisters. Thomas was just a homie at that point. He was one of the only people who would like check in on me regularly and make sure I was doing okay. He always invited me out to shows when he was on the road with Residente or Thundercat. 

I did two years of EMDR and the end result was just to basically say fuck it and go make a record to have something you're happy with. Being young and recording sucked because there's always the pressure of budget, drummers who can't play to clicks, etc. and then not having the time or money to carefully edit everything exactly the way you want. I feel like a lot of bands with conventional instrumentation stopped putting serious energy into recordings after downloading and streaming got big because frankly there was no longer a ton of money in it any more. I just wanted to do the opposite and take my time to make something I liked listening to as much as my favorite records. 

Sonny and I became friends after Mars Volta abandoned him at a venue in Houston. I gave him a ride to the airport and we've been cool ever since. I go out to Hot Springs to help him with some music festivals there twice a year. 

Thomas hit Adrian up after he tracked the drums and shows him the music. He did horns on some songs and electronic horns on some of the others.

Ultimately I'm just grateful for the ride. I'm not on a high horse about it and just grateful that some of those dudes are humble and honest people like I hoped they would be when I was a kid.  

#7 Palo Alto

Palo Alto

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Joined 24-November 07

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for sharing the story, absolutely fascinating. You've been through a hell of a lot. Very excited to hear the music!

#8 Phantasm

Phantasm

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 21-November 19

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for sharing the story, absolutely fascinating. You've been through a hell of a lot. Very excited to hear the music!

Thanks. We're going to post release dates in the next week or so here on our social media pages. Thanks infinitely for the condolences and the interest. 

#9 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:09 PM

Wait....Volta abandoned Sonny in Houston?

#10 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:50 PM

Lmao what

#11 Phantasm

Phantasm

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 21-November 19

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:05 PM

Wait....Volta abandoned Sonny in Houston?

Hah not like " a B a N d O n E d " but yeah. They were supposed to give him a ride to the airport and decided against last minute because of travel time to the next city. It was when they were touring Noctourniquet secretly under the Omar solo name. 

#12 shiggityshwo

shiggityshwo

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Joined 20-August 08

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:23 PM

incredible, can't wait to hear this

#13 Phantasm

Phantasm

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 21-November 19

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:47 PM

incredible, can't wait to hear this

Thanks. If you follow me or Thomas on instagram we'll be posting updates soon. In the mean time if you guys know other people who fuck with this kind of music feel free to help spread the word. 

#14 temporal lob

temporal lob

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. It's sad TMV moved on from so many fantastic musicians over the years. I'm Looking forward to hearing this.

#15 Phantasm

Phantasm

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 21-November 19

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for sharing your story. It's sad TMV moved on from so many fantastic musicians over the years. I'm Looking forward to hearing this.

Yeah agreed. It's a bummer no doubt. Thanks for the support <3 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users