IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#037) Arañas en la SombraRelease Date: 26th of August, 2016 (ex-The Somnambulists???)

• Please log in to reply
967 replies to this topic

#21 Alpha

Alpha

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined 28-December 14

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:57 PM

Let's wait until Blind Worms to find out if we can fully trust in the credits shown by the site

#22 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

It's the same lineup as Octa and it sounds like Bedlam just more stripped down. It definitely sounds like Volta. Some of us assumed it was scrapped because the timeline fits and the description fits (upbeat and aggressive according to Omar).

#23 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:12 PM

Let's wait until Blind Worms to find out if we can fully trust in the credits shown by the site

So Blind Worms was done right before Bosnian Rainbows, with Teri..

I wonder if D's on drums, if it's electronic like Octopus or no drums at all.

#24 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7024 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

Yeah I'm almost positive Xeno was a scrapped LP6.

#25 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

And if it isn't, we have a record to look forward to.

#26 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:25 PM

I'm happy Omar didn't really pick these albums. Otherwise we'd get 4 fuckin Despairs

#27 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3505 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:27 PM

Marcel was on Octopus, though, so maybe he'll make an appearance on Blind Worms.

#28 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

Didn't Omar say that he and Marcel were recording albums in Japan in 2012?

#29 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3505 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:43 PM

oooo I don't remember that, but sounds wonderful.

#30 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5184 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:09 PM

Did Omar ever really said that there was a scrapped TMV album between Octa and Nocta?
About Xeno, do you consider that if Cedric would sing, it would be released just like it is now as a TMV album? Or just some of the songs? I really cant imagine for a TMV album to start like this album with such a weird track.
If Xeno is really a scrapped volta album, well then... thank god... I think it doesnt bring anything new to the volta catalogue and its not really original compared to the others. One song sounds like the ballad part of "tettragramatton". It would be the worst album definitly.
But As an omar album it works just fine

#31 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4335 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:10 PM

cathy said that when the initial 12 album announcement was made way back when, marcel wasn't mentioned

#32 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5184 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:15 PM

^
What does cathy have to do with the 12 album series?

#33 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

Did Omar ever really said that there was a scrapped TMV album between Octa and Nocta?
About Xeno, do you consider that if Cedric would sing, it would be released just like it is now as a TMV album? Or just some of the songs? I really cant imagine for a TMV album to start like this album with such a weird track.
If Xeno is really a scrapped volta album, well then... thank god... I think it doesnt bring anything new to the volta catalogue and its not really original compared to the others. One song sounds like the ballad part of "tettragramatton". It would be the worst album definitly.

In fact Omar said there were two records he scrapped. One with Thomas, one with Deantoni.

The reason why Omar scrapped records was because he felt they didn't add anything new. Instrumentally, Xeno is like a cross between Bedlam and Octa. With Ximena's vocals and Omar's and the added piano, it really sounds like its own thing. The first half of the album is great the way it is, it's mainly the last few tracks that get repetitive because of Thomas' fills and the vocal melodies start getting a bit lazy. I love the vocals throughout most of the record though.

#34 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3505 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

I think there was a conversation at one point about Sargent House putting out 11-13 records.  But then during Bosnian Rainbows days everything dissolved between their partnership.

#35 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:21 PM

cathy said that when the initial 12 album announcement was made way back when, marcel wasn't mentioned
The guys over at Ipecac are the ones going through the drives, choosing the records. Cathy is old news. Different selection.

#36 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4335 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:23 PM

In fact Omar said there were two records he scrapped. One with Thomas, one with Deantoni.

where'd you see that? and i know that it's a different selection, doesn't change the fact that cathy was the only one to mention this japan album recorded in 2012.

#37 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 7024 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:27 PM

Right after Octa he said he recorded an album that would be the follow up, but was unsure it was actually going to end up being the sixth album.  All the signs seem to point towards this album being Xenophanes.  Like you said, he said he liked it but felt that it didn't really bring anything new to the table.

Have we started to look ahead to the next Mars Volta project?

It's in a weird state. Right after "Octahedron," I recorded another record that would be the follow-up. I usually hand it over to Cedric who writes his lyrics. And as I finished it I was excited, but I didn't feel like it was anything new or interesting. I felt it was like not where I was at. And I started working on another one. But, to tell you the truth, I put it down for a minute for the first time in a long time. I'm sort of letting it sit there and see what happens.

#38 Shoko Asahara

Shoko Asahara

神の子羊

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Joined 29-November 08

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:32 PM

iirc Omar asked Cedric to sing on Xenophanes in Spanish, but Cedric declined, leading to the Ximena/Omar hybrid vocals

#39 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 7024 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:54 PM

I think he just said that Cedric wasn't singing in Spanish much lately so he decided to do it himself.  Not that he actually asked Cedric and he declined.  It was probably his way of making the album a bit more fresh since he didn't think it was anything new musically.

#40 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:58 PM

Cedric denies that though but i do remember Omar saying that.

He also did an interview in the summer of 2009 about a month after Octa's release. In Amsterdam. It's on YouTube. He said he scrapped that "upbeat and aggressive" record and was working on a new one. At the end of 2009 he gave that interview where he said he was letting the new one sit. Then shortly after that (late 2009, early 2010) he said he scrapped it and had finally set on a new one which would be the album. That ended up being Noctourniquet.

So they could be Xenophanes and Unicorn Skeleton Mask. Perhaps it's Xeno and another that will be released through Ipecac, or it's never been confirmed because it's actually two more unreleased albums? Either way, I think someone should ask him to confirm which solo LP's are the scrapped ones.

I'm also curious to know if he recorded more with Lisa Papineau.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)