IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

New Omar interview on Amputechturesmall and brief one...

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 possumslim

possumslim

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Joined 01-August 05

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:08 AM

This is a local magazine put out by a record in Sacramento...ran across it while eating a burger.

http://www.dimple.com/Article/4996

By Gary Graff
July 2006

So what does Amputechture mean?

Rodriguez-Lopez: "Amputechture" is just a word that was invented by our friend. The amputechture of the word [laughs] is "to amputate" and "architecture"-the word in and of itself is kind of describing itself, its own process. It's just something we really love the sound of; it makes so many images in the head of exactly what it can be. And we realized it was very fitting for the process of the group, because the approach is to try to cut out old parts to make way for new parts and just kind of get rid of certain things that we're used to doing in order to make room for brand new concepts.

Is there a thematic string like there was on Frances the Mute?

Rodriguez-Lopez: The theme of this album was to not have a theme, to approach it more as a series of vignettes or a series of stories whose only true unifying theme would be the voice in which they're being told. We were very inspired by Night Gallery; every episode is telling a different story, but there's still the introduction by Rod Serling and a certain feeling there.

What impact did it make to have Paul [Hinojos, a former At the Drive-In bandmate] as part of the recording process this time?

Rodriguez-Lopez: It made things a lot easier for me. The most important thing is Paul's place in our lives-Paul's personality, our friendship with Paul. Obviously we've been in another band with him for years, so there's just this familiarity and this comfort of being around him. And it really freed me up as the leader of the band, as the producer of the record. Between him and also having John Frusciante playing guitar, who essentially became a band member for the record, I was able to teach them their parts and then just sit behind the console and really listen to the sound of the band and have an objective view of what we were doing.

So are you trying to lure John away from the Chili Peppers?

Rodriguez-Lopez: [Laughs] Oh, I don't think that'll happen. But he's like an honorary member of our band. He's always welcome to be part of the band, in any way. He's so part of the energy of what this band is and gets along so well with everyone-I mean, he's my closest friend next to Cedric. He, as a person, is very Mars Volta. He's always around, and because of this we're in very subtle ways and very obvious ways always influencing each other and the directions of what we're doing with our bands.

#2 and_ACTiON

and_ACTiON

'05 FO LYFE!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5669 posts
  • Joined 18-July 05

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:12 AM

verrrrry intewesting.

He, as a person, is very Mars Volta.

#3 GustofMutts

GustofMutts

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 29-July 06

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:12 AM

So did Omar play any of his own stuff on Amputechture?

#4 and_ACTiON

and_ACTiON

'05 FO LYFE!!!

• Members
  • 5669 posts
  • Joined 18-July 05

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:13 AM

So did Omar play any of his own stuff on Amputechture?

that's what i've been dying to know.

#5 MunkyJr

MunkyJr

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 16-July 06

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:14 AM

hmm i guess this explains why jon was kicked out, and confirms he was kicked out

#6 GustofMutts

GustofMutts

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 29-July 06

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:17 AM

hmm i guess this explains why jon was kicked out, and confirms he was kicked out

I guess you're talking about this phrase?

And we realized it was very fitting for the process of the group, because the approach is to try to cut out old parts to make way for new parts and just kind of get rid of certain things that we're used to doing in order to make room for brand new concepts.

#7 Randall Flagg 19

Randall Flagg 19

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Joined 30-June 06

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:20 AM

lol it sounds like he is only using John Fruciante, but Im sure it isnt the case...

#8 desolokeys

desolokeys

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 198 posts
  • Joined 23-April 04

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:33 AM

Haha, John is "very mars volta"
Its an adjective now?

#9 Balljoint

Balljoint

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1340 posts
  • Joined 12-May 06

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:36 AM

Awsome, thanks!

Amputechture is like Final Fantasy, they're all diffrent stories, but they're all united by the fact that they are all love stories. =P

#10 firstrays123

firstrays123

We Do By Declare Ourselves To Be Another Art Of Being

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends & Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:44 AM

very cool

#11 Itching Teeth

Itching Teeth

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 03-August 05
  • Interests:music, bass, snowboarding.

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:58 AM

Exciting

#12 marcelesa

marcelesa

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Joined 18-October 04

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

And it really freed me up as the leader of the band, as the producer of the record.

the band = Omars volta

#13 GustofMutts

GustofMutts

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 29-July 06

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:10 AM

the band = Omars volta

That was funny the first ten or twelve times, but now the joke is done.

#14 Gee202

Gee202

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1652 posts
  • Joined 29-November 05

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:10 AM

ah cool, thanks :)

I love it how we're getting so much more (and probably much more is to come) interviews now when the release date is getting closer.. Yum.

#15 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:13 AM

Yeah, this does seem to keep bringing up the hot question as to whether or not Omar's playing at all on the album. This interview seems to be saying that it's Paul and John playing the guitar parts, but yeah there's no way of really knowing. Interesting how he vaguely alludes to Jon's exit although we don't know when this interview was conducted, but his mentioning of getting rid of the old and getting new things in is quite interesting. I would be thoroughly weirded out if it is in fact Paul playing guitar alongside John as I never particularly thought he was a great guitar player, but then again the parts are written by Omar so who knows. The questions abound.

#16 frusciante rocks

frusciante rocks

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1268 posts
  • Joined 13-April 04
  • Interests:LA

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

That was a good little interview, thank you! It was short but it says a lot. Very cool. :)

#17 The_Wid0w

The_Wid0w

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Joined 25-April 05

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:23 AM

Haha, John is "very mars volta"
Its an adjective now?

heck, im feeling a little mars volta myself today

#18 brian2otis

brian2otis

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Joined 12-July 04
  • Interests:bass-playing<br />food<br />nature<br />friendly folks<br />wierd music<br />other stuff

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:37 AM

That was a good little interview, thank you! It was short but it says a lot. Very cool. :)

#19 Christizzler

Christizzler

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Joined 19-June 05
  • Interests:Napoleon Bonaparte

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:51 AM

Sweet, thank you.

#20 Gustavatron.

Gustavatron.

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Joined 04-August 06

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:00 AM

I hope that John weren't in the mood, during the making of this record, that the Chili Peppers were when making Stadium Arcadium (a let down, in my opinion), but Omar wrote the guitar parts right?

I love the word Amputechture. Wouldn't it mean "creating by removing"? Anyway I bet Omar's mind is in a brighter place than mine. Mine should be in bed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users