IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Old De Facto show review

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cymbaline12

cymbaline12

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • Joined 20-July 06

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

didn't know where to post this and have no idea if it's been posted before:

http://www.nme.com/n...e-drive-in/6963

NME News
DE FACTOS OF LIVE

De Facto, featuring ATDI's Cedric and Omar, play a low-key London date...

* Mar 16, 2001
* 0 Comments
* At The Drive-In news, reviews, video and tour dates
* Add At The Drive-In to MyNME

AT THE DRIVE-IN offshoot band DE FACTO played their debut UK show at LONDON's BARFLY CLUB last night - and NME.COM were there to bring you the first report.

At The Drive-In singer Cedric Bixler and guitarist Omar Rodriguez Lopez were joined by Jeremy Ward (vocals, melodica and effects) and Isaiah 'Ickey' Owens (keyboards and melodica) for a seven-song, low-key set of dub reggae.

An uncharaceristically restrained Bixler swapped his usual vocals and leaping around for drumkit rolls, and Lopez played reverberating bass.

De Facto's set included tracks from their debut EP, the obliquely-titled '456132015', which is released in the UK on March 19 through Grand Royal.

De Facto's songs owed more to the classic dub of Augustus Pablo and King Tubby than to ATD-I's more experimental bent.

The set was largely instrumental, with Ward contributing a few echoey mutters, and rhythm section Bixler and Rodriguez Lopez very much taking a back seat to Ward and Owens' keyboard and melodica duels.

De Facto - who were originally called De Facto Carde Dub - are a long-established project of Bixler's and Lopez's, and hail from their hometown of El Paso, Texas.

They are currently recording an album with Beastie Boys producer Mario Caldato Jr, who also produced their EP. The album is tentatively titled 'Black Hot Chrome', and is set for release later in 2001.

At The Drive-In recently cancelled their European tour due to 'flu and "complete mental and physical exhaustion". Their US tour, scheduled for April, remains unaffected. The rest of At The Drive-In - guitarist/keyboard player Jim Ward, drummer Tony Hajjar and bassist Paul Hinojos - are currently at home in El Paso, preparing for the tour.

#2 cymbaline12

cymbaline12

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • Joined 20-July 06

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

first time I've ever heard of 'Black Hot Chrome' as a tentative title for either Megaton or Legende i suppose. also this was their DEBUT show apparently. cool beans.

#3 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7117 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

Whoa find

#4 ZeMaster

ZeMaster

open the wound/let it pore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6625 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:58 AM

Awesome find.

#5 IVeilCerpinTaxtI

IVeilCerpinTaxtI

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3317 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Interests:Drums, Bass, Music...
  • Facebook
  • Myspace

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:50 PM

Man, I wish this contained more info about the show as opposed to their background. Is there any possibility that "Hot Black Chrome" is a completely different album?

#6 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

http://web.archive.o...vein2/five.html

Buddyhead - Oh yeah, tell us about Defacto.

Cedric - We just recorded a new record. I guess it's gonna be out on Grand Royal soon. It's gonna be called "Medic Alert." We got Omar's dad to sing on it, people from Omar's dad's band to play percussion on it, and a trumpet player to come out, and friends to do some vocal tracks. Jim's cousin Jeremy does melodica and vocals for it.

Medic Alert, Hot Black Chrome? Medic Alert sounds like Megaton Shotblast, though, considering Omar's father's vocals, the trumpet, the auxiliary percussionists. i actually emailed GR2 (Grand Royal's successor label i guess) and asked them about it but they said "The ATDI guys purchased their masters back so if this was a planned release they own and control."

#7 hellpaso

hellpaso

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Joined 27-December 08

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:39 PM

Buddyhead - Oh yeah, tell us about Defacto.

Cedric - We just recorded a new record. I guess it's gonna be out on Grand Royal soon. It's gonna be called "Medic Alert." We got Omar's dad to sing on it, people from Omar's dad's band to play percussion on it, and a trumpet player to come out, and friends to do some vocal tracks. Jim's cousin Jeremy does melodica and vocals for it.

Deus Ex Machina??? (omar's dad singing)
El Professor Contra De Facto (percussion)
Rodche Defects
Fingertrap (trumpet)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users