IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#018) Ciencia De Los Inutiles2010/02/14 - Ximena, Aaron Cruz

• Please log in to reply
479 replies to this topic

#381 bryonai

bryonai

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 13-August 09

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

ok so i posted this in the ciencias de los inutiles lyrics thread but had no response so i'll repost here:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (I haven't actually searched the threads yet :P - lazy I know)

I just wondered if there was anyone with the tablature for this album? Or if anyone would be kind enough to work it out :D

Fancied giving it a shot with playing and trying to sing at the same time. Could be a massive failure but I'll let you know if it works out!

thank you in advance, muchas gracias
:)

#382 a doubt

a doubt

Cassandra Geminni

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Joined 05-March 05
  • Interests:frusciante fan :)
  • Twitter

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:40 PM

Erik_Gemini, thanks for finding the information about the recording process and thanks for translating, Dandelion_volta.

Maybe it's just me or did anyone else think he might have seized a suggestion of John Frusciante? (imperfection was his approach while recording 6 albums in 6 months back in 2004)

Edit: Not sure if everything from Sargent House formspring regarding Ciencia has been posted here :unsure: (Just copying everything from the last 4 weeks, I know we've had some of those answers already)

Are you sure that the tracklist on Bandcamp is right now? Last one made sense because it was the days of the week in spanish, but now it seems messed up.
Omar called in the middle of the night and said the tracklisting was wrong and then sent me the one that is now up in that order

Wow, that's very funny, who ordered the tracks the first time? Since it's Omar I guess he wasn't drunk when he called you haha.
don't know how the shuffle happened we were told days of the week , then omar said no not that order and sent the new order?

Hey, maybe what was wrong with Omar's album was the order, but maybe the song names should be kept as before.
tell the boss, I don't make the orders of the songs homeboy does.

Do you know if Ximena will be singing on any more upcoming Omar albums? She has such a great voice :)
I would imagine she will

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but is there going to be a digital booklet for Ciencia de los Inutiles?
I don't know Sonny is in mexico with Omar now working on a whole bunch of art the vinyl art is not done yet so I don't know what it entails

Did Omar direct the video for Miercoles?
yes

Awesome video of Miercoles! Thanks for putting that up, its beautiful! Just like the album itself! It's just so amazing Omar can do all these styles of music, I can't wait to hear whats next for him!
thanks, I agree it's a real beauty

so i cant stop listeing to Viernes from el trio de omar rodriguez lopez...is omar gonna do a tour and play that song?
i have no idea what his set list will be

#383 chokedwaffle

chokedwaffle

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 12-March 10

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:53 AM

I like the album, it's very different. Watch him start a future band called Los Hijos de Omar Rodriguez Lopez lol.

#384 locomocion

locomocion

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Joined 30-January 10

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:18 AM

Ximena has a strange beauty about her.

#385 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13750 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:40 AM

I wonder if Omar creates all these bands just for one album...

#386 chokedwaffle

chokedwaffle

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 12-March 10

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:03 AM

I wonder if Omar creates all these bands just for one album...

That sounds legit haha.

#387 6025

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 06-January 10

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

well just one record that WE hear.

its like that rotterdam interview when hes talking about the "6 hour version of the film and then the 4 hour version and then the theatrical normal 90 minute version that everyone gets to see"

i bet thats how some of his albums/projects/bands are. theres the 40 minute records he releases and then theres the recordings we never hear.

i bet Zach Hill has all the El Grupo Nuevo records that we're waiting to hear blaring in his car at this very moment

#388 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13750 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

I don't know, the records he doesn't release are probably him with the usual musicians

#389 locomocion

locomocion

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Joined 30-January 10

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Ximena's little head tweaks really get me in the Miercoles video.

#390 6025

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 06-January 10

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

Usual musicians? I believe your thinkin of the mars volta....then again, they don't either

#391 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13750 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

Omar, Marcel and Juan... some albums are probably just Omar.

There is an irony which afflicts all musicians a few albums into their career; critics will deride an experimental album for being “inaccessible”, or “self-indulgent”, and then criticise a turn towards accessibility as “selling out”. This is a situation painfully familiar to Omar Rodriguez-Lopez. In his role as helmsman of prog-latin-funk-whatever-rock band The Mars Volta, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez has received the full gamut of abuse, from too intense to boring, and too experimental to overly safe. However, If there’s one piece of intelligible information that we can extract from the dense chaos of Rodirguez-Lopez’s back catalogue, it is that he probably doesn’t read the reviews. As a solo artist Rodriguez-Lopez has released 8 albums in the last 12 months. In fact he has steadily produced an album every few months for the last 4 years. None of these albums were ever contenders for commercial success, and most slipped out without fan-fare. They range from amateur early recordings, to disbelief stretching monotonous soundscapes, via some mind-blowingly intense atonal metal. These, often disparate, musical outings are bound together by Omar’s trademark; the effects-heavy guitar solo. The guitar is Omar’s voice, and it sounds like an auto-tuned Bob Dylan, wailing and ranting at length over every track.

It thus must comes as a shock to long-term Rodriguez-Lopez devotees, when Ciencia De Los Inutiles (CDLI) kicks off with acoustic guitar, gentle double bass, and the soft crooning of Ximena Rivera. Rodriguez-Lopez has released intimate “acoustic” albums before, but it always seemed that an army of producers had crept into the camp-fire setting, and were intent on turning every crackle of the flames into a warp-speed zap. However, a rapid skip through the album reveals that CDLI continues in this “shockingly” listenable vein until the closing chord. The tracks do not outstay their welcome, mostly falling shy of four minutes, and with time reveal plentiful variation within what at first appears a limited concept. The trio draw on a satisfying breadth of inspiration, and applies it with a subtlety which raises this latest work above the bland adult-contemporary fare it might at first be associated with.

Viernes and Noche Dia make thoughtful use of ambience, welcoming into the music what Rodriguez Lopez would once have isolated as an interlude (see Frances the Mute). This helps create a sense of place which the lyrics, for the non-Spanish speaker, unfortunately cannot. An Arabic influence is apparent at times, most notably on Sabado, which is clearly marked by Rodriguez Lopez’s field recordings in Jerusalem. The interplay between Middle-Eastern and traditional Mexican/Spanish music is inventive, and worth repeat listening. Instrumental skill is high throughout, with intelligent use of ornaments to flesh out the otherwise skeleton arrangement, the slides and harmonics smoothing out a structure which occasionally leans too heavily on unison. Overall the arrangement shows a light touch, and never falls back upon lazy strumming. On vocals, Ximena provides a refreshingly clear and un-affected singing voice, a rarity since Pop Idol decreed that Soul is the only valid singing style. Her vocal melodies dance nimbly over the band, sometimes following, sometimes hopping back and forth between off-beats. Though her voice shows distinctive character when straining over the higher notes, it is not strong enough to support spoken-word track Miercoles, which totters dangerously close to background music.

There are a few times when Rodriguez-Lopez evidently can’t restrain himself, and a guitar solo occurs. These fall very much on the edge of acceptability. The appearance of a wailing electric into the opening track is grating and obtrusive, shattering the atmosphere carefully established over the preceding few minutes. However, when the band unexpectedly kicks into ramshackle acoustic Mars Volta on closer Domingo, complete with a bass-line reminiscent of Frances The Mute, long-term fans won’t be complaining. CDLI is one of the most coherant albums Rodriguez-Lopez has released in recent times, and I look forwards to his next album, no doubt due in a couple of months, and sure to be full of new surprises.

Author: Alex Newton

http://thehub.c-hab....es-album-review

#392 a doubt

a doubt

Cassandra Geminni

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Joined 05-March 05
  • Interests:frusciante fan :)
  • Twitter

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for posting the article, but...

Though her voice shows distinctive character when straining over the higher notes, it is not strong enough to support spoken-word track Miercoles, which totters dangerously close to background music.

Is this a result of the confusion of the changed tracklist? I think he refers to Noche Dia.

And some news for the vinyl:

What color will the the El Trio record be?
black

#393 Kwan

Kwan

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 12-July 09

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

I think it's just because they are next to each other.

#394 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13750 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

The names were right, the order was wrong, each song title maintains it's respective time lenght if you look at the page

#395 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6849 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:55 AM

Any chance of posting the high res booklet artwork for Ciencia de Las Inutiles like you did with the previous one? Btw thanks for your dedication!

hm, I thought we had sure I'll tell Sonny to slap those babies up there soon.

#396 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13750 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:32 AM

That was my question, but I don't ask with my username anymore because I ask too many questions haha, I'm usually the guy who tells Cathy how awesome she is for her dedication, I don't want to feel guilty after asking her so many things :biggrin:

#397 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3250 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:42 AM

I just asked about it shipping soon.

#398 johnb820

johnb820

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1133 posts
  • Joined 03-May 06
  • Twitter

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:17 AM

I believe HelloMerch is in charge of that, not sargent house. We were also told it would ship around May 1.

#399 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6849 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:49 AM

any word if "Ciencia de los Inutiles" is scheduled to ship on time?

unfortunately the test pressings have been rejected twice so there is a delay, we just found out yesterday.

#400 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3250 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:44 AM

any word if "Ciencia de los Inutiles" is scheduled to ship on time?

unfortunately the test pressings have been rejected twice so there is a delay, we just found out yesterday.

DUE TO A PRODUCTION DELAY, PRE-ORDERS WILL NOW SHIP ON OR AROUND JUNE 1ST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users