IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Members (past and present) of TMV

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 emailaddressesaremyenemy

emailaddressesaremyenemy

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3096 posts
  • Joined 28-December 03
  • Interests:read my posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:12 PM

from GSL

Members: Omar Rodriguez Lopez (guitar), Cedric Bixler Zavala (vocals), Jon Theodore (drums, percussion), Ikey Owens (keyboards), Juan Alderete (bass)

Past and present:
Jeremy Ward (sound effects; 2001-2003), Eva Gardner (bass; 2001-2002), Ralph Jasso (bass; 2002), Jason Lader (bass; 2003), Flea (bass; “De-Loused in the Comatorium”), John Frusciante (guitar and a100 treatment on one track, “De-Loused in the Comatorium”)

Linda Good played keyboard during the fall tour of 2002.

I should also mention that Marcellus Rodriguez (Omars Brother) has been a member of the Mars Volta for almost a year, but did not play on the album. He has been playing the bongo's and maracas in the live sets.

#2 1039

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2637 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03

Posted 29 August 2004 - 07:38 AM

from GSL

Members: Omar Rodriguez Lopez (guitar), Cedric Bixler Zavala (vocals), Jon Theodore (drums, percussion), Ikey Owens (keyboards), Juan Alderete (bass)

Past and present:
Jeremy Ward (sound effects; 2001-2003), Eva Gardner (bass; 2001-2002), Ralph Jasso (bass; 2002), Jason Lader (bass; 2003), Flea (bass; “De-Loused in the Comatorium”), John Frusciante (guitar, “De-Loused in the Comatorium” - 2 tracks)

I should also mention that Marcellus Rodriguez (Omars Brother) has been a member of the Mars Volta for almost a year, but did not play on the album. He has been playing the bongo's and maracas in the live sets.

View Post

didnt paul do the sound effects for a while after jeremy died? i read that in an interview with omar ill try to find that.

#3 Theory

Theory

The Butcher

• Founding Father
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13781 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 29 August 2004 - 04:58 PM

from GSL

Past and present:
Jeremy Ward (sound effects; 2001-2003), Eva Gardner (bass; 2001-2002), Ralph Jasso (bass; 2002), Jason Lader (bass; 2003), Flea (bass; “De-Loused in the Comatorium”), John Frusciante (guitar, “De-Loused in the Comatorium” - 2 tracks)

View Post

didnt paul do the sound effects for a while after jeremy died? i read that in an interview with omar ill try to find that.

View Post

Yep.

#4 Cybrid

Cybrid

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:46 AM

Juan Alderete on how he joined the band
From Bassplayer

How did they describe the Mars Volta’s music to you when you first met?

They never did! I had heard of the band, and I was a supporter—mostly because, growing up Latino, you want to believe there is a band that can say something for you that other bands can’t. Rage Against The Machine had a similar effect. Manny, Distortion Felix’s guitar player, told Cedric I was perfect for them. It was a great fit; they weren’t looking for some modern cat who plays with active pickups and all that. In fact, when Flea played bass on the De-Loused record, they made him play a Fender bass. He came down with all his gear, and they just said, “Man, can you please play this?”

What was the audition process like?

I had been working as a radio producer when Omar called me from the tour in Europe and asked me to pick up a CD. I did, and I thought, Wow—this is like punk rock meets Frank Zappa! I knew it would be another musical challenge, and I wondered if I could pull it off, but my wife said, “Take time off work and do nothing but focus on this music until you get it.” So I worked on those songs every day, and my friend Troy, the drummer from Big Sir, helped me with the odd-meter stuff.

Eventually I auditioned, but they gave me no sign of whether I was cutting it or not. But they said I could leave my gear for the next day. On the second day, I didn’t think I played that well. We jammed some more on the third day, but I was having trouble with this crazy drum break in “Roulette Dares” from the first record. I just couldn’t hear what I was supposed to be doing, so I told Omar, “I don’t know why I’m not getting it, but I’ll really work on it,” and he said, “You’d better get it down, because we have a show on Thursday.”

#5 Cybrid

Cybrid

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:09 AM

Ralph Jasso (bass; 2002)

View Post

...a bit more info on how those two joined the band...
From Kevchino.com

JW:  Give us a rundown on the other members of the band.

Cedric: Ralph Hostler (bass) we have played in a number of bands with, he is an old friend from El Paso, so we have known him for a long time.

Omar: Linda, we got turned on to Linda by Tom Waits keyboard player Danny Magoo. We were searching for a different kind of keyboard player and he suggested her to us...

#6 vanzetti

vanzetti

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1277 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:01 AM

don't forget Adrian Terrazas! mulit-instrumentalist badass extraordinaire.

Edit from Cybrid: Adrian plays saxophone and flute on Frances The Mute and he's been touring with them. According to a few interviews, Adrian might even be a fully fledged member of the band (at least as much of a member as Marcel). Hopefully we'll eventually get more info on his background and his status in the band. For now, go here for info on what additional instruments he's been playing live.

Edited by Cybrid, 24 March 2005 - 07:10 PM.

#7 D-i-a-n-a

D-i-a-n-a

Moo

• Members
  • 15808 posts
  • Joined 24-March 04

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:59 PM

Paul Hinojos - current member

After touring for a while with The Mars Volta, as their sound manipulator, Paul decided to quit Sparta to join The Mars Volta definitively:

In a move certain to inspire speculation and rumors, Sparta guitarist and former at the drive in member, Paul Hinojos, has quit Sparta and has joined the Mars Volta, effective immediately. Assuming the sound manipulation duties of the late Jeremy Ward, Hinojos' role within the band will initially be confined to the off stage audio acrobatics that Ward (who died in 2003) had become reknowned for. Volta band leader Omar Rodriguez - Lopez is adamant that Hinojos will eventually share the stage with his bandmates during live performances. "My time with Sparta has run its course, and simply wasn't fun anymore," commented Hinojos in los angeles last week. Hinojos, who in 2003 joined the mars volta briefly after Wards untimely death, decided to accept the open invitation from Rodriguez Lopez to rejoin the band at his leisure. "We've been friends since we were kids, played in bands together for years, and Paul was close to Jeremy," commented omar, "its always been clear to me that Paul was the only person wod be appropriate to take Jeremy's place and fill what we feel is an integral role within the band"
Hinojos rejoined Omar and co. midway through their current us tour, although out of courtesy it was decided to leave it to the Sparta camp to make the initial announcement of pauls departure.

If you want to discuss that, please do so here.

Blake Fleming - former member

Source
Topic for discussion

#8 D-i-a-n-a

D-i-a-n-a

Moo

• Members
  • 15808 posts
  • Joined 24-March 04

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:23 PM

Jon Theodore on how he joined the band
From City Paper
Discussion topic: here.

CP: Did you move explicitly to join the Mars Volta?

JT: Yeah, strange story. I had done like three tours already in this one year. It was summer, and I’d just finished an oppressively hot August tour. And I had to drive overnight from Chicago and drop people off in D.C., then pick up the rest of the Golden guys in D.C. and drive directly to Austin, where we started another tour. By the end of that tour I was really ragged out. I’d been having some conversations with friends where we were like, “Where’s it gonna happen next? D.C. in the ’80s, Chicago in the ’90s, where’s next?” And we were like, “Well, L.A.’s due, because it’s been a long time since the hair bands of the early ’80s.” I really wanted to learn how to surf, too.

Los Angeles is like this sort of idyllic paradise. Obviously, the Down and Out in Beverly Hills kind of vibe is there, but if you come from the East Coast, you’re like, “Palm trees and bikini ladies on roller skates on the boardwalk!” I was like, “I’m going to L.A. and I’m gonna learn how to surf. I’ve been [in Baltimore] for so long, I’m just gonna make a move out there. There’s gotta be somebody that needs a drummer. I’ll be able to find a band, I’m sure. In the meantime, I can do what I’m doing here, which is working jobs between tours.” Then when I got home I had an answering-machine message from Omar, and he was all, “Gimme a call back. I don’t know if you remember me.” It had been years since we met. I called him, and he was like, “Do you wanna come out here and join this band we’re putting together?” And I was like, “That’s weird, man. I’ll be right there.”

CP: You’d met Omar during his days in At the Drive-In?

JT: I think they’d just started At the Drive-In, but they were actually playing in De Facto. I met them on tour in El Paso; I think it was one of their very first shows. We played it together in an arcade which was very underpopulated. We had a pretty strong bonding session with drinks and lots more drinks. It was a really fun night: Golden and the Make-Up and De Facto. Everyone played well, and the audience—all eight people—were really stoked. It was more of a party than an actual performance.

CP: What state was the Mars Volta in when you arrived in L.A.?

JT: When I got out there the band had just begun. It was really a formative phase where Omar and Cedric had their eyes set on this prize. They knew that it was kind of now-or-never. I was more like, “Yeah, I’m in California—and I’m playing in a band, too.”

I learned so much from them as far as work ethic and dedication and pursuit of a goal. At that point I wasn’t really into practicing, and I would’ve been happy enough going to the beach. But those guys were really, really dedicated and driven, so it was kind of infectious. We had a place where we could play at any time of the day, and we also lived there. It was kind of an industrial space where we had a big room to play in. And we’d just play there all day long—hours and hours and hours. Then we’d stop, and we’d be so burnt that we wouldn’t ever really leave; we were just locked in.

We’d all been in bands before, so we all knew that it can’t just be, “Oh, we’re making this band, so here’s our music.” I’d never really gotten to know them before, so it was a period of hashing out the fundamental interactions, where we had to explore each other personally and musically. It was a very heavy, difficult period. The things I learned from that, I’ll never forget.

CP: Was that a different way of working than how Golden operated?

JT: Yeah, because for the last 10 years of Golden, we weren’t really living together—not even in the same state. We’d come together and practice as much as we could, which would be for like a week, and then we’d start a tour. This was a much different experience for me. It was very methodical, and it was about putting as much time into it as it took to create what we thought it needed to be.

CP: Everyone paid attention to the Mars Volta at the beginning because of Omar and Cedric’s background in At the Drive-In. Was it weird to be involved in a group that had this sort of prehistory that didn’t include you?

JT: That was a very strange situation, but it was also kind of inevitable—especially in the world of corporate-based rock and roll. But the only thing that mattered to me was that the band kicked ass. I wasn’t familiar with At the Drive-In, except by stickers. I hadn’t heard their music; I wasn’t aware of the success that their band had had, because I wasn’t exposed to it. All I knew was that these were my newest friends, and we were trying to make a band together. And since we were such shut-ins at that point, I was largely protected from the mechanism of that prehistory.

I didn’t really experience it until we started going out on the road, almost a year after I got [to L.A.]. We had spent that time building the thing up, and it never crossed my mind until the press started to get a hold of the band with the release of our first EP and our first few tours. I was fortunate enough to have that not be a factor for me, which was definitely good, because those things can really cloud perceptions. I was able to not be affected by that at all.

CP: Do you think Omar and Cedric dug the fact that you weren’t involved in their background?

JT: I think so. I’ve only heard bits and pieces of how unnatural and extreme the explosion of At the Drive-In was. It’s like reading the stars to determine what happened in the Big Bang, you know? They’re so far removed from that right now—since I got to L.A.—that I’ve never had a long conversation about how crazy it was. But I’ve picked up tidbits from it, and I think that was probably part of the reason why [they called me]. I think they wanted to get me in the band because they liked the way I played drums. And then the fact that we were from very similar contexts—but removed from each other just the same—I think that was probably important to them. I think if I had been like, “Oh, I’m starting a band with the At the Drive-In guys,” they probably would not have wanted to play with me. Quite literally, I was just that guy from Baltimore.

#9 squared

squared

[_]^2

• Members
  • 11551 posts
  • Joined 24-August 05

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

Blake Flemming joins in 2006 on drums

#10 1039

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2637 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:38 AM

2 more drummers to add to the list:
deatoni parks (temp)
thomas pridgen (permanent) ((hopefully))

As stated on the GSL site (October 2007)

* Omar Rodriguez-Lopez guitar
* Cedric Bixler-Zavala vocals
* Isaiah Ikey Owens keyboards
* Juan Alderete De La Pea bass
* Thomas Pridgen drums
* Marcel Rodriguez-Lopez percussion
* Adrian Terrazas Gonzales percussion
* Pablo Hinojos-Gonzalez sound fx, guitar

Past members:
* Jeremy Ward sound effects (2001-3)
* Jon Theodore drums, percussion
* Eva Gardner bass (2001-2)
* Ralph Jasso bass (2002)
* Linda Good keyboards (2002)
* Jason Laden bass (2003)
* Flea bass (De-Loused in the Comatorium)
* John Frusciante guitar (live and all studio albums)
* Blake Fleming drums, percussion

Edited by a doubt, 03 March 2010 - 03:13 AM.

#11 a doubt

a doubt

Cassandra Geminni

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 05-March 05
  • Interests:frusciante fan :)
  • Twitter

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:35 AM

In the days of Wikipedia it's easy to get information about the band members.

Line-up 2008:
* Isaiah Ikey Owens keyboards
* Juan Alderete De La Pea bass
* Thomas Pridgen drums
* Marcel Rodriguez-Lopez percussion, synthesizers
* Adrian Terrazas Gonzalez percussion, wind instruments
* Pablo Hinojos-Gonzalez sound manipulation, guitar

Line-up 2010: