IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Rx Bandits

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#1 Rascuache

Rascuache

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Joined 07-July 03
  • Interests:Kurt Vonnegut and sound manipulation

Posted 15 July 2003 - 11:21 PM

Man oh man, I was thinking this CD was a mistake to buy but how wrong I was.

The RX Bandits are so great because they combine the 2-second span of fun of skapunk but fool around with really weird time signatures and almost metal-like guitars. So good.

Anyone hear it yet?

#2 Lost In The Air

Lost In The Air

Lost in the Nair

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5873 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:Artsy fartsy stuff, cryptozoology, montauk project, the silent hill series, experimental science, jamming in free jazz pick up bands, wearing funny hats, moogs, trying to con the manager at pizza hut into giving me their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Time arcade machine, surrealism, the avant garde in general, painting, turning that one cheapo delay pedal I have to max repeats then strike a single chord and watch the walls melt, trying to find out where the hole under my house goes, getting really drunk and arm wrestling at the shifty bar outside of work, most likely embarrasing myself in the process, crossbreeding vegetables, keeping the phone off the hook, collecting toasters and microwaves, talking to my burt reynolds like neighbor, hiding behind the waterfall in the summer only to jump out scaring the kids as they try to trespass on old man belinski's land so they can swim in that sweet sweet spot, talking about finishing my mural on the local High School's chemistry lab, never actually working on it though, jumping to conclusions, winning under suspicious circumstances, faking my death, listening to Bill Cosby records

Posted 16 July 2003 - 03:47 AM

I ment to buy this today but the store didn't have it in yet.

I will definately be buying this tomorrow.

#3 Lost In The Air

Lost In The Air

Lost in the Nair

• Members
  • 5873 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:Artsy fartsy stuff, cryptozoology, montauk project, the silent hill series, experimental science, jamming in free jazz pick up bands, wearing funny hats, moogs, trying to con the manager at pizza hut into giving me their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Time arcade machine, surrealism, the avant garde in general, painting, turning that one cheapo delay pedal I have to max repeats then strike a single chord and watch the walls melt, trying to find out where the hole under my house goes, getting really drunk and arm wrestling at the shifty bar outside of work, most likely embarrasing myself in the process, crossbreeding vegetables, keeping the phone off the hook, collecting toasters and microwaves, talking to my burt reynolds like neighbor, hiding behind the waterfall in the summer only to jump out scaring the kids as they try to trespass on old man belinski's land so they can swim in that sweet sweet spot, talking about finishing my mural on the local High School's chemistry lab, never actually working on it though, jumping to conclusions, winning under suspicious circumstances, faking my death, listening to Bill Cosby records

Posted 17 July 2003 - 03:39 AM

Got it today, great album, but not quite as good as Progress.

#4 Now_Im_Lost

Now_Im_Lost

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2123 posts
  • Joined 05-July 03

Posted 25 September 2003 - 03:12 AM

RX Bandits - The Resignation

Your thoughts?

I like it.

I know this is kind of old news, but just going for some good convo.

#5 histarising

histarising

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1674 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:Singer for the band Feral Yell.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 25 September 2003 - 08:25 AM

not really a fan of their music - but they stayed the night over at my friends house at they're all nice guys. So i respect them.

#6 ballsofice

ballsofice

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Joined 05-July 03
  • Interests:Gettin' my slant on.

Posted 25 September 2003 - 05:05 PM

Haven't heard it but they do a bitchin cover of Megadeth's Holy Wars. \m/

#7 Scazziff

Scazziff

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts
  • Joined 08-July 03

Posted 25 September 2003 - 09:54 PM

I've never listened to them, but at the Mars Volta concert I was at (Seattle 7/28) I saw like 3 people with RX Bandits shirts. So I'm intrigued.

#8 scandz

scandz

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1666 posts
  • Joined 03-July 03
  • Interests:jammin'/chillin'

Posted 25 September 2003 - 11:05 PM

Those guys are from Rancho Cucamonga which is the next city east of my city: Upland, CA. I know people who are friends with them but I still have never listened to any of their stuff.

Pharmaceutical Bandits is how you're supposed to say the name.

#9 Alf

Alf

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • Joined 08-July 03
  • Interests:Experiments in grindcore, musical adventures, alcohol, many drugs, cigars, women, dreamcast, xbox, the nhl, my lord and savior jesus christ, latinas who will marry me

Posted 26 September 2003 - 12:27 AM

Terrible

#10 Now_Im_Lost

Now_Im_Lost

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2123 posts
  • Joined 05-July 03

Posted 26 September 2003 - 12:52 AM

Have you actually given the album a listen, there are lots of really intricate things on this album. Don't just automatically group them with the rest of the DTR crew. They have really grown. I wouldn't even call them ska anymore.

If you get the chance, really listen to the album. Lots of really cool shit on this album.

#11 chewmauro

chewmauro

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2327 posts
  • Joined 14-July 03
  • Interests:All I ever wanted was someone to let me live my own life.

Posted 26 September 2003 - 01:37 AM

I believe it is "Analog Boy", but at the end of one of the songs there is a really great noise part that I just love.

I think they are prtty good, nice beat. Real good smoking music actually and driving, and both. . .

#12 Lost In The Air

Lost In The Air

Lost in the Nair

• Members
  • 5873 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 26 September 2003 - 02:13 AM

Both Progress and The Resignation are amazingly well written albums. 10/10 for both.

#13 Elessar

Elessar

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2090 posts
  • Joined 01-July 03

Posted 26 September 2003 - 05:19 AM

crap

#14 Alf

Alf

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • Joined 08-July 03
  • Interests:Experiments in grindcore, musical adventures, alcohol, many drugs, cigars, women, dreamcast, xbox, the nhl, my lord and savior jesus christ, latinas who will marry me

Posted 26 September 2003 - 02:09 PM

Have you actually given the album a listen, there are lots of really intricate things on this album.  Don't just automatically group them with the rest of the DTR crew.  They have really grown.  I wouldn't even call them ska anymore.

If you get the chance, really listen to the album.  Lots of really cool shit on this album.

Every album they've had I hated. I was like a pretentious ska-fag or something about a year ago (and then I heard Moss Icon and was like, oh fuck).

I really doubt that they could come full-circle and then some for this album but if I know anyone that has it I'll listen.

#15 Rascuache

Rascuache

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Joined 07-July 03

Posted 27 September 2003 - 06:47 AM

Pharmaceutical Bandits is how you're supposed to say the name.

Not anymore, they just stuck with RX after Progress came in.

I just got home from seeing them at the TLA in Philadelphia. Very impressive. They come to Philly every 3 months it seems lately.

#16 Now_Im_Lost

Now_Im_Lost

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2123 posts
  • Joined 05-July 03

Posted 27 September 2003 - 06:47 AM

sounds good.

*bump*

#17 Rascuache

Rascuache

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Joined 07-July 03

Posted 27 September 2003 - 06:48 AM

I also don't get why people still call them ska. They used to play ska earler. Now it's more of a regaae feel with metal riffs, heh.

#18 Alf

Alf

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • Joined 08-July 03

Posted 27 September 2003 - 07:10 AM

Well I knew that, duder

Hence, pretentious ska fag.

#19 scandz

scandz

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1666 posts
  • Joined 03-July 03
  • Interests:jammin'/chillin'

Posted 27 September 2003 - 06:17 PM

Not anymore, they just stuck with RX after Progress came in.

I know it's spelled RX, but I really think you're supposed to pronounce it as pharmaceutical. Are you from around here or something? They live in the next city from me. I know all their newer fans probably don't know the difference and just say RX, but I'm sure the OGs know what's up. And all this after I myself have never listened to them!

#20 theSARSvolta

theSARSvolta

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 163 posts
  • Joined 30-August 03
  • Interests:Drums, guitar, bass, piano, writing, dancing, singing, cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, naked girls, the mars volta, at the drive in

Posted 29 September 2003 - 11:00 PM

Does anyone think that the RX BANDITS own? because i think they're pretty cooool. :twisted:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users