IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Structured Parts V 2.0New material in the live show....

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:44 AM

This is the sequel to this thread. If you look near the ending pages of that thread, you'll see a whole slew of predictions from myself and others about Amputechture, that mostly turned out to be wrong. What this means is that either I've wasted a lot of time speculating or that the former thread is all LP 4 material - it turns out that Amputechture was pretty much a complete surprise and didn't resemble much of anything from the live show (except for a few minor parts). While it's possible that these structured sections are just live fascinations, I don't find that likely. So, I guess I'm starting a new thread about the next album. Just note that the previous thread still applies.

Once again, head over to Tremulant Sings and pick up the corresponding live show in order to follow what I'm saying.

1. August 9th in Petaluma, CA
The new Roulette Dares outro jam...
Note: While this might be the nature of song, this part is very similar to the previous outro in terms of intensity at some points. However, it's a bit more complex.
a) 8:39 to 14:59
At 8:39, a reversed guitar loop starts to play. At 8:52, this delayed chord resounds over it. The band plays around Omar's loop and they continue doing this until about 10:07 where Blake does a cymbal swell and Omar is playing by himself with the loop. Adrian comes in at 10:21. At 10:22, Omar starts up with this groove-oriented, funk-ish riff that slowly rises - sort of like the main Cassandra riff from Cicatriz jams back in the day. The band slowly builds up with it and and at 10:53, Blake goes into a bass-drum stomp. At 11:10, it explodes and Cedric wails in a few seconds later. At 11:30, it's reached its full intensity and Adrian starts soloing over Omar's rhythm guitar. Similarly, Blake is keeping pace (and noticeably, his style is freer than Jon's). At 12:00, the band cuts out and Juan and Blake are the only ones playing (with Marcel doing some in the background). Blake is pretty much soloing in rhythm while Juan keeps the main riff going. At 12:40, the rest of the band has re-entered and Ikey and Cedric are the ones wailing over it all. Right before the 13:00 mark, Blake starts to do a big crash on each downbeat and at 13:08, the bongos and congas come in. Meanwhile, Cedric has been singing the same melody over this throughout the entire jam (the words are inaudible, if they're words at all). At 13:30, it goes back into the sole drum and bass section where it's the same deal - Blake soloing while Juan keeps the anchor. At 14:26, the band comes back in again and the intensity starts rising until 14:54 where it just cuts out - the end of the song.

#2 Seyon

Seyon

High Five! ヘ( ^o^)ノ\(^_^ )

• Members
  • 5026 posts
  • Joined 29-August 04
  • Interests:CrossFit, Video Games, Awesome fucking music
  • Facebook

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:00 AM

That's the only jam they've done live, although they also doubled the length of the middle Cygnus jam at the solo shows.

Hopefully we'll get some new stuff next week at Chicago and Milwaukee. I am incredibly excited to be at those shows.

#3 Mr. Banana Grabber

Mr. Banana Grabber

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1811 posts
  • Joined 17-March 06

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:10 AM

even if your predictions never turn up anywhre other than these live jams, its still pretty awesome to see these breakdowns of their jams, keep up the good work

#4 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03
  • Interests:Art, Girls, Music

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:49 PM

I'm guessing you didn't find anything noteworthy about the August 7th, Catalyst show, other than the new Roulette Dares outro that was also played in Petaluma. There were only a couple moments that I thought were possibly someting to consider, but in all likeliness they're probably just transitions between songs. One was the pre-widow jam, where at about 56 seconds in, Omar loops the guitar effect making a sort of siren, then Blake comes in about 1:05 and begins to build the base of the jam before the rest of the band fills it out. At about 1:54 Omar starts repeatedly emulating what sounds like a plane going down and he continues this for pretty much the duration of the jam. Obviously you've heard this jam and didn't find anyhting special about it, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to make a post about it just incase these things begin to reappear, or grow into something more.

The other moment occurs at the 5:00 mark of Asilos. It's a really spaced out moment where Ikey is holding long organ sounding notes, and Omar's complimenting that with his effects pedal again. At about 5:20 they add in a sound that resembles a scratched record, and shortly after Omar begins playing a bit of guitar to finish it off. they pretty much just ride that out for another 40 seconds until the beat before "Viscera Eyes" begins to build. The main reason I mentioned this part is because, to me, it sounds like something that could be on an album somewhere. It's very ambient and spacey, but is also compelling in a way.

Like I said before, I'm sure that you've noticed these moments already and didn't find them worthy of mention, but I figure the more speculating that occurs (as long as everyone isn't mentioning every little bass kick and guitar lick they hear) the more informative, and comprehensive the thread is. But this is your thread and if you'd rather us not add on too much uncertainty just let us now.

#5 bighairystranger

bighairystranger

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3720 posts
  • Joined 26-November 04
  • Interests:Food.

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:16 PM

Exciting. I loved this last time. I hope they give us more to work with soon.

#6 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:21 PM

Hotnikkels - posts like that are fine. I mean, that was what I was hoping for with the other thread - for people to put stuff out there for me to check into. I guess we'll only really be able to say anything definitive after hearing some solo shows, but to be honest, I haven't wanted to take the time to download a lot of other shows. I understand tapers' reluctance to compromise sound quality - hence, no encoding to mp3 - but I just don't have the time nor the desire to start a torrent and wait for however long it is. So, if you guys can tell me anything, especially on something I might not have, I'm down.

#7 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:40 AM

Expect this to be updated soon if we get an mp3 recording. If it's FLAC or something, it'd be great if someone YSI'd or megauploaded it, as such. I'm just not too keen on waiting for torrents these days. There's a lot of stuff to add now. Good times...(And if there turns out to be no recording, I'll work from Youtube stuff, I guess).

What's weird is that all the new stuff sort of sounds the same a la Led Zeppelin. All deep, straightforward grooves. Makes you think.

#8 Pigs On The Wing

Pigs On The Wing

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Joined 25-September 06
  • Interests:Music... new/old.. whatever, as long as its good.<br />Snowboarding, golf, poker, OSU football.

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:16 AM

I really do think amputechture was the remix cd they had been talking about. Although it does not remix frances, it does remix simple prog rock staples from through out time. I.E. Tetra, section from about 5-6 minutes is definitely recycled. The ending to tetra is also a definite prog rock staple with the climbing guitars to end a song. There are so many of these 1 minute sections that if you listen through a back catalouge of prog rock bands (yes, king crimson, even pink floyd) you will hear a lot of similarities. These sections almost always seem to come and go in 1 minute long samples... much like a remix. By doing so, TMV wouldn't have to write as much new material for AMP, making it possible to put out 2 cds in 6 months. All the unused material from AMP plus all new material will end up on the 4th LP... which will most definitely be a long drawn out concept cd much like frances, also explaining why they are throwing back to the 70's sound found all over frances.

#9 firstrays123

firstrays123

We Do By Declare Ourselves To Be Another Art Of Being

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends &amp; Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:29 PM

the catalyst show has a nice little jam at the end of cygnus when omar's guitar cuts out. The Petaluma's con safo seemed extended to me, more extended then what I was used to.

#10 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:53 AM

Alright. This will be updated heavily - and very soon. Expect it to be done by this Monday, provided I acquire a couple shows in question.

#11 feelmytool

feelmytool

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts
  • Joined 16-March 05
  • Interests:...........?

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:52 AM

Give me a hit on PM later tonight and i'll make some zips of the folders for you. I really enjoyed reading the last thread!

#12 bighairystranger

bighairystranger

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3720 posts
  • Joined 26-November 04

Posted 03 November 2006 - 05:46 PM

Oh dayum. I am pumped. I don't have time right now to do anything too thought out, but I was thinking it would be nice to have someone kind of breakdown Rapid Fire Tollbooth. So, here is my attempt from the Vegoose version (easily the best so far):

0:00 It kicks in with the groove straight away. The loop is three 4/4 measures followed by a 5/4 and repeat. The guitar is very groove heavy a la Viscera Eyes. The Led Zepplin references are obviously from this guitar and bass style. All of this is very well complimented by Adrian on the sax, but I don't hear too much else. Maybe some bongos from Marcel and a low key organ part.

0:10 Cedric introduces us to the melody line we will get familiar with over the song. Very simple, but perfect for belting out those powerful notes. This repeats for a little while.

0:56 The chorus comes in. A sparse stop start beat from the instruments, where the obvious emphasis is on the vocals. Cedric is loud as fucking hell on this part and it is really impressive.

1:20 The verse part comes back with more flourish from the instrumentalists. You can hear Omar adding a lot of extra inflection and Adrian starts wailing around. The fills right here are where I decided that Deantoni is very much like Jon.

Some repetition. Some solos over this progression. The solo reminds me a lot of early blues-metal in that Omar is just fucking around with pentatonics and taking them at relatively high speeds. What I do like, though is the way that Deantoni responds to the solo, complicating the drum beat a lot but never losing his time.

6:44 The end.

What I liked about this song: I loved the way that Juan was so solid through it and Deantoni really impressed me with his ability to go off somewhere and find his we back so easily. When Cedric was singing he was going for it, and I liked the lyrics for their relative simplicity.

What I didn't like: Omar was obviously just going for the groove in this composition. I felt an utter lack of Marcel, he was there at the beggening but then, for the most part, his presence really vanished. Adrian wasn't being as crazy as I would like out of him and Ikey had some perfect opportunities that he didn't take advantage of.

I hold my position that this is just a B-Side, not a sign of things to come. The jam that follows supports me in that hypothesis, I believe. Sorry if this was a little stop start, I wrote it on the fly. I would do the big jam that follows, and hopefully will soon; alas, I have don't have the time right now. Hope that you guys enjoyed this. Let's see some more informative posts!

Edit: If there is anything that I truely love about this jam it is the Sax Solo at around 28 minutes. Great stuff. (Oh and I like the electronic style beats, yay Deantoni!)

#13 manstis1804

manstis1804

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Joined 25-January 05
  • Interests:Music: making it

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:30 PM

Oh dayum. I am pumped. I don't have time right now to do anything too thought out, but I was thinking it would be nice to have someone kind of breakdown Rapid Fire Tollbooth. So, here is my attempt from the Vegoose version (easily the best so far):

0:00 It kicks in with the groove straight away. The loop is three 4/4 measures followed by a 5/4 and repeat. The guitar is very groove heavy a la Viscera Eyes. The Led Zepplin references are obviously from this guitar and bass style. All of this is very well complimented by Adrian on the sax, but I don't hear too much else. Maybe some bongos from Marcel and a low key organ part.

0:10 Cedric introduces us to the melody line we will get familiar with over the song. Very simple, but perfect for belting out those powerful notes. This repeats for a little while.

0:56 The chorus comes in. A sparse stop start beat from the instruments, where the obvious emphasis is on the vocals. Cedric is loud as fucking hell on this part and it is really impressive.

1:20 The verse part comes back with more flourish from the instrumentalists. You can hear Omar adding a lot of extra inflection and Adrian starts wailing around. The fills right here are where I decided that Deantoni is very much like Jon.

Some repetition. Some solos over this progression. The solo reminds me a lot of early blues-metal in that Omar is just fucking around with pentatonics and taking them at relatively high speeds. What I do like, though is the way that Deantoni responds to the solo, complicating the drum beat a lot but never losing his time.

What I liked about this song: I loved the way that Juan was so solid through it and Deantoni really impressed me with his ability to go off somewhere and find his we back so easily. When Cedric was singing he was going for it, and I liked the lyrics for their relative simplicity.

What I didn't like: Omar was obviously just going for the groove in this composition. I felt an utter lack of Marcel, he was there at the beggening but then, for the most part, his presence really vanished. Adrian wasn't being as crazy as I would like out of him and Ikey had some perfect opportunities that he didn't take advantage of.

I hold my position that this is just a B-Side, not a sign of things to come. The jam that follows supports me in that hypothesis, I believe. Sorry if this was a little stop start, I wrote it on the fly. I would do the big jam that follows, and hopefully will soon; alas, I have don't have the time right now. Hope that you guys enjoyed this. Let's see some more informative posts!

Edit: If there is anything that I truely love about this jam it is the Sax Solo at around 28 minutes. Great stuff. (Oh and I like the electronic style beats, yay Deantoni!)

That's a pretty assinine criticism. An opportunity he didn't take advantage of? He didn't drop a god damn touchdown pass.

#14 firstrays123

firstrays123

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends &amp; Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

That's a pretty assinine criticism. An opportunity he didn't take advantage of? He didn't drop a god damn touchdown pass.

Ikey was astonishing for the concert, fuck what anybody thinks, I KNOW WHAT OCCURED THAT EVENING, and no recording will ever provide the full report of that evening.

#15 bighairystranger

bighairystranger

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3720 posts
  • Joined 26-November 04

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:41 PM

I was just saying, there were places that I expected him to be there and he wasn't. That was just a personal opinion. Sorry. I do admit it could have been the recording.

I will say, though, throughout the rest of the concert he astounded me. Way to focus on ONE thing in my evaluation. Please, let's keep this civil.

#16 Pigs On The Wing

Pigs On The Wing

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Joined 25-September 06
  • Interests:Music... new/old.. whatever, as long as its good.<br />Snowboarding, golf, poker, OSU football.

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:06 AM

from the jam they played in c-bus on the 30th you could definitely tell there were 'structured' parts to the jam. Cedric had definitely figured out definite lyrics for the jam, you could tell he wasnt just improvising all the time. I do believe there was even a chorus about 1/2 way though the jam. Also there was a bass solo that sounded much like the intro to baphomets, but slightly different.

#17 feelmytool

feelmytool

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts
  • Joined 16-March 05
  • Interests:...........?

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:37 AM

I think this is two new songs for the next album. I'm gonna say it again, i think this next album will be double. I'm pretty sure that TMV are getting rid of all there old material to make way for new material. Has anyone noticed the complete lack of previous material on the jist of this tour? I think there leaving VA, ECV, and Mecca for the next album tour and after that nothing else from Amp back will be performed live.

#18 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:42 AM

I think this is Stalk's thread. If everyone starts making posts like this it'll be impossible to read what he has to say - and no offense or anything, but he's probably the only member who could start a thread like this and have people actually pay attention to it.

#19 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:46 AM

Yeah, I didn't want to put it that bluntly, but I prefer to keep the responses as concise as possible - the compilation is for the first post. And I'm not going to put Rapid Fire Tollbooth up there since it's pretty well obviously going to be out there in some form, whether as a b-side or a track on the next album.

I'm still downloading the Vegoose set, but it should be done tonight. Like I said, Sunday latest for this thread update.

#20 firstrays123

firstrays123

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:47 AM

I was just saying, there were places that I expected him to be there and he wasn't. That was just a personal opinion. Sorry. I do admit it could have been the recording.

I will say, though, throughout the rest of the concert he astounded me. Way to focus on ONE thing in my evaluation. Please, let's keep this civil.

thats the only thing you said that struck out to me as completely wrong, and being that I was there and actually experienicng it, I can say with ease that Ikey had amazing keyboard parts in rapid fire tollbooth. Not everything has to be a massive keyboard solo to be astonishing. Ikey plays amazing rhythmic patterns over the song, which allows Omar to go nuts with the wah wah, something that I love in Omar's style as of late. Ikey was extremely well mixed for the concert, something a audience recording may not be able to tell you as properly as BEING THERE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users