IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Buck 65An open blog

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_thirteenthsecond_*

Guest_thirteenthsecond_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:00 AM

Lately I've been considering the idea of getting a regular job. I'm just considering it. Why? Well, I have given up on the idea of making money off records. It's hopeless now. I hope soon to cut it out altogether - I'll just give music away (that will likely mean not manufacturing a physical product anymore). People don't want to pay for music anymore anyway (collectors, don't fool yourselves - your numbers are way smaller than you like to think). Some say that the real money in the music business is in publishing. But what that means, is that a bottomless well of musicians are all fighting for the same 10, 15, 30 seconds of a tv commercial or film. And ring tones? Pass...

A few days ago I said something about selling t-shirts on my myspace blog. But I recieved a message from someone right away telling me that they had actually downloaded a t-shirt. Mind-blowing...

So what that leaves is touring. Playing shows is the only reliable way for a musician to make a living. But at what cost? For someone like me to actually make a living off touring, I have to do it almost constantly. And while touring and having adventures can be fun, you must give up on the idea of having a real life. That's a hefty price. Not to mention the toll touring takes on one's body.

I'd still like to do some touring (enough so that I'm not killing myself). But ideally I could find some kind of job (I'm not qualified to do much) that would offer me a half decent wage and a little flexibility, so that I can get away for a few weeks out of the year.

It's just a thought. But if anyone wants to give me a job (I'll consider just about anything), get in touch.

I'll make music for as long as I live. But making a living as a musician is quickly becoming an impossibility. I wonder if in the near future in popular culture we'll continue to idolize rock stars if they are are poor people, who work in grocery stores, but write great songs and have cool haircuts... That would be interesting. I can't think of many examples of times when our cultural heroes haven't been provided some wealth as a result of our worship.

Thinking out loud,

buck

I think that's interesting. Most of you probably don't know who Buck is, but for those of you who do, you know that he makes amazing music, and has been doing so for a very long time.

#2 BrettG83

BrettG83

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Joined 17-May 05

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:15 AM

That would really be a shame if he stops making music (availbe for the masses anyway).. I have some of his stuff he is such a great musican/story teller. I can sort of understand, it must be so hard for artists who are struggling to pay the bills, want to have a family but need to tour constantly. I'm dissapointed I didnt check him out last time he was in sydney, I read it was such a great show aswell.

Talkin Honky is a hip hop folk classic and should be heard by more people.

Keep the dream alive Buck trust me being a 9 to 5er isn't much fun, i would love to be artistic.

#3 Karasi

Karasi

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3426 posts
  • Joined 02-September 05
  • Interests:nom

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:12 AM

No bueno, no bueno at all, Square is one of the better rap albums released this century.

#4 Guest_thirteenthsecond_*

Guest_thirteenthsecond_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:33 AM

No bueno, no bueno at all, Square is one of the better rap albums released this century.

Hahhah, indeed it is!

#5 Rob_Floyd

Rob_Floyd

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1174 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:22 AM

I love Secret House and Situation.

#6 Guest_thirteenthsecond_*

Guest_thirteenthsecond_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

I love Secret House and Situation.

Situation's one of the better rap albums I've heard.

Have you heard 'This Right Here Is Buck65'??

If not, you should check it out, probably my favorite.

#7 BrettG83

BrettG83

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Joined 17-May 05

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

He is touring Australia this January so I think I will check him out as I missed him last tour. I haven't heard his new album it supposed to be a bit more hip hop orientated.

#8 firstrays123

firstrays123

We Do By Declare Ourselves To Be Another Art Of Being

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends & Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:53 AM

buck65 isn't timeless, he put out music for a label that put out a lot of shit music, plus his marketing skills suck ass, he was terrible when I saw him live and he's like a 40 year old man rapping, nobody finds this weird?

THIS IS WHY I DON'T BUY YOUR RECORDS BUCK 65

any musician who goes into a full time status with music has to expect the worst, it's like playing park and rec sports and wondering why nike hasn't hit you up for endorsments.

#9 Guest_thirteenthsecond_*

Guest_thirteenthsecond_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:26 AM

buck65 isn't timeless, he put out music for a label that put out a lot of shit music, plus his marketing skills suck ass, he was terrible when I saw him live and he's like a 40 year old man rapping, nobody finds this weird?

THIS IS WHY I DON'T BUY YOUR RECORDS BUCK 65

any musician who goes into a full time status with music has to expect the worst, it's like playing park and rec sports and wondering why nike hasn't hit you up for endorsments.

What label are you referring to?

Also, no offense, but you obviously aren't familiar with is catalog.

It's funny that, of all people, you, would judge a musician, a rapper even, about how bad his "marketing skills" are.

#10 firstrays123

firstrays123

We Do By Declare Ourselves To Be Another Art Of Being

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 23-May 04
  • Interests:Music, School, Meditation, Friends & Family, Spirituality, Good Food, Traveling and Sun Ra

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:22 PM

why is it funny. cause it's true?

marketing is a huge aspect of getting your music out there, something buck65 sucks at. if you are in pretend land where musicians are judged solely on their artistic value, then you have fallen into hippie land. i hope you one day come out of it, and yes I know his catalog very well, I'm not saying he sucks, but as far as the timeless aspect, he lacks in a lot of areas.

Again, the reason I bring up markering is bexcause buck65 is contemplating working a 9 to 5 as his records don't sell aka he doesn't market his music right. I'm not saying he has to do videos for mtv, I just feel he could easily get his music out there more, create more of an allure for it, but there is none, each album contains little progression from his previous works, and with his creative levels, it just isn't enough for me to want to go out and buy his records.

I can't speak for anyone else, but this is why I don't buy his music, he may put out something worth owning for you, but not for me. the fact that i hear about him once every 3 years doesn't help either.

#11 Guest_thirteenthsecond_*

Guest_thirteenthsecond_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:52 PM

why is it funny. cause it's true?

marketing is a huge aspect of getting your music out there, something buck65 sucks at. if you are in pretend land where musicians are judged solely on their artistic value, then you have fallen into hippie land. i hope you one day come out of it, and yes I know his catalog very well, I'm not saying he sucks, but as far as the timeless aspect, he lacks in a lot of areas.

Again, the reason I bring up markering is bexcause buck65 is contemplating working a 9 to 5 as his records don't sell aka he doesn't market his music right. I'm not saying he has to do videos for mtv, I just feel he could easily get his music out there more, create more of an allure for it, but there is none, each album contains little progression from his previous works, and with his creative levels, it just isn't enough for me to want to go out and buy his records.

I can't speak for anyone else, but this is why I don't buy his music, he may put out something worth owning for you, but not for me. the fact that i hear about him once every 3 years doesn't help either.

Well, I'm just glad Situation was released on SF.

Also; Buck released like 4 albums on Warner, so maybe you, out of a couple million people, missed his marketing, but it seems they probably got his stuff out.

#12 Hector Gilbert

Hector Gilbert

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 26-July 04

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

Vertex is the Buck 65 album for me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users